Sponsored

Refund for registration fees

Freshturk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Hey y’all,

About a month ago like a lot of y’all I received all the documents and notice that I would need to take care of registering my vehicle with my own DMV. Alongside these documents came a letter stating I would be refunded my registration fees in 7-10 days.

I’ve never received this refund and my guide has been essentially helpless and basically gives me the same response every week that I reach out.

Has anyone had similar experiences?
Sponsored

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

It took a while (July 12th until August 4th) but I did receive my refund for the registration fees and sales tax amount when I had to register my own R1T

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
It took a while (July 12th until August 4th) but I did receive my refund for the registration fees and sales tax amount when I had to register my own R1T
That's close to the timeline I had. Sent me the docs on 7/11 - refund arrived on 8/5.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I wish they would just not charge you going forward and just DIY it as I prefer this method anyways.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wish they would just not charge you going forward and just DIY it as I prefer this method anyways.
Agreed. I asked my guide about this and they said they HAD to submit on my behalf and were only letting owners self-register in extreme cases AFTER Rivian tried, themselves.

I received a letter from my state assessing civil penalties for not registering quickly enough -- apparently they found out about my R1T through my insurance company, who sends them a regular roster of policies. I reached out to my guide and they still haven't even submitted the paperwork to the DMV yet!

Sponsored

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I received the same paperwork - to register myself. Then my guide told me NOT to do that! I had to resign something and mail it back to them. They are supposedly registering on my behalf but I’ve heard nothing in over 2 weeks.

Related: I have little confidence that the amount of taxes and fees I paid Rivian in the purchase agreement is what my state/county/city is actually charging. The online calculator my county provides is far different from what I paid Rivian. So I’ve asked for a detailed accounting of what they pay on my behalf. No update on that either of course.

All that said, I have until mid September until my 90 day tag expires. Fingers crosses I see some movement before then.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Just left this in another thread to a guy in MN.

I'm in NC and they delivered my R1T with temporary tags that had 90 days expiry on them. Nearly 60 days in they sent me a notice and packet stating they couldn't register the car in NC and that they were sending me all the documents to do it. They also said they'd provide me a refund of the state taxes and fees that needed to be paid, but were already paid in my 8 step process to buy the R1T. That's over $3,200. It's been over 4 weeks since that time and no word of refund. Got my plate from local DMV, but I'm now out another $3,200 until Rivian decides to reimburse me for something they said they'd take care of. Guide has passed the buck on to another department and even escalated it. Crickets so far on where my check is.

Not sure if there's a similar issue in MN, but that's what I've been through to date. Love the truck, but this system of registering in all states needs to be worked out.

keb33509

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So, I accidentally overpaid for my truck by 1k because I didn’t account for the 1k deposit I had already made when preordering. My guide said he’d “look into it” when I mentioned the overpayment. Received my tags a couple weeks ago, but still haven’t been refunded my overpayment or what wasn’t used on taxes to register. According to my registration, taxes were about ~200 less than estimated in the purchase agreement, so I should be looking at around $1,200 for a refund. Now…if their accounting team does what they’re supposed to do.
Sponsored