Sponsored

Range Impact of Cargo Crossbars

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
For those of you who have had the pleasure of taking delivery of a truck, and happen to have the crossbars: do any of you have any experience on what the range impact is from them?

Specifically curious on 4 different scenarios:

1) Crossbars on roof, without stuff
2) Crossbars on roof, with stuff (e.g., bike, box, what ever.)
3) Crossbars over truck bed, without stuff
4) Crossbars over truck bed, with stuff

I'm assuming the order of range impact from lest to most would be: 3, 4, 1, 2 but not sure how much in each case...
Sponsored

OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Bumping to top, with the hope that someone might have some first hand input :)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I don't have an A/B test yet, but (to my surprise!) I've no major impact from (unladen) crossbars on the bed or a large bike on a hitch rack over ~800 miles. So far I've consistently been in the ~2.0-2.2 miles/kwh range in Conserve mode at freeway speeds, including mountain passes with the bike on the hitch.

Way too small of a sample size to be scientific, but I've been very impressed. And the guess-o-meter has been within 2-5% accurate (e.g. within a mile or two on a 150 mile trip from Seattle to Leavenworth) every single time, even with the bike. Total revelation compared to my Tesla, and almost (but not quite) enough to shut me up about wanting to switch the main range display to a percentage 🙂

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I should add - the R1T doesn't make this stuff super easy since the only way to get mi/kWh calculation is "last 15 minutes" or by resetting the trip meter. I'd love a "for the last drive" and "since the last charge" view like Tesla has.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I don't have an A/B test yet, but (to my surprise!) I've no major impact from (unladen) crossbars on the bed or a large bike on a hitch rack over ~800 miles. So far I've consistently been in the ~2.0-2.2 miles/kwh range in Conserve mode at freeway speeds, including mountain passes with the bike on the hitch.

Way too small of a sample size to be scientific, but I've been very impressed. And the guess-o-meter has been within 2-5% accurate (e.g. within a mile or two on a 150 mile trip from Seattle to Leavenworth) every single time, even with the bike. Total revelation compared to my Tesla, and almost (but not quite) enough to shut me up about wanting to switch the main range display to a percentage 🙂
I am so happy to hear this, as that drive to Leavenworth is one my R1S will do many many times. I will also undoubtedly complain loudly for a % gauge too...

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I should add - the R1T doesn't make this stuff super easy since the only way to get mi/kWh calculation is "last 15 minutes" or by resetting the trip meter. I'd love a "for the last drive" and "since the last charge" view like Tesla has.
That calculation exists in the trip meter, but it's wholly inaccurate for short trips since it only uses integer values for kWh. That's my biggest complaint with it there.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
I am so happy to hear this, as that drive to Leavenworth is one my R1S will do many many times. I will also undoubtedly complain loudly for a % gauge too...
FWIW we left Seattle with an 85% charge (don't remember the miles conversion) and arrived at Leavenworth (via Blewett) with ~90 miles indicated, with a bike on the hitch, 5-10 over the speed limit the entire way. Mostly in Conserve mode with heavy rains.

Similar on the way home but slightly worse due to my wife's judicious application of Sport mode over Blewett 🙂

Charged for free at the L2 Tesla chargers in Sleeping Lady resort with a Lectron adapter (on arrival, and the next day after a bunch of romping around in the Sage Hills area at Wenatchee). 200+ miles of free power in a kickass pickup truck is not a bad flex during a gas crisis!

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
FWIW we left Seattle with an 85% charge (don't remember the miles conversion) and arrived at Leavenworth (via Blewett) with ~90 miles indicated, with a bike on the hitch, 5-10 over the speed limit the entire way. Mostly in Conserve mode with heavy rains.

Similar on the way home but slightly worse due to my wife's judicious application of Sport mode over Blewett 🙂

Charged for free at the L2 Tesla chargers in Sleeping Lady resort with a Lectron adapter (on arrival, and the next day after a bunch of romping around in the Sage Hills area at Wenatchee). 200+ miles of free power in a kickass pickup truck is not a bad flex during a gas crisis!
So you can confirm, the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter performed well at a Tesla destination charger on a Rivian R1T? If so, what charging speed did it achieve?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
So you can confirm, the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter performed well at a Tesla destination charger on a Rivian R1T? If so, what charging speed did it achieve?
Yep it worked great. For some reason it had trouble connecting at first but after a few plugs and unplugs and charged merrily. We used it overnight twice. I don't recall the exact speed but it was in the 9kW range IIRC.

(Edit: Looks like I took a screenshot, it was consistently at 10kW. No idea what the destination charger was rated at. I'm using this adapter FWIW: )

Last edited:

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Yep it worked great. For some reason it had trouble connecting at first but after a few plugs and unplugs and charged merrily. We used it overnight twice. I don't recall the exact speed but it was in the 9kW range IIRC.

(Edit: Looks like I took a screenshot, it was consistently at 10kW. No idea what the destination charger was rated at. I'm using this adapter FWIW: )
Outstanding, exactly what is being delivered today! Looking forward to trying it after my R1T is delivered Saturday.
Sponsored