Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
For my next vehicle (which will be awhile!) I am much less interested in greater range and far more about charging speed. Give me a vehicle that can add 70 kwh in 15 minutes! With DCFC quickly becoming more ubiquitous (yay Tesla Supercharger team!) as long as a vehicle hits the basic minimum 300 miles, I want charging speed. Hopefully the 4695 delivers.
My thoughts exactly! Instead of putting in heavier and expensive batteries, make them charge faster.
Absolutely agree with this. Most gas cars only get 300ish miles of range also, but the ubiquity of gas stations and relative quickness with with you can refill them makes that mostly irrelevant. Adding 70-80 Kwh in 5 minutes is probably far off if it's even feasible, but if you can get charge times closer to 15 than 30 that goes a long way.

Charger availability is increasing, so that's less of an issue now than it was when I got my R1, and it will be even less so when the R2 comes along. Improving charge times would make it even better.
Yeah but a 300 mile EPA range BEV is actually closer to 200 miles when on a trip. A 400+ mile range BEV might get you some good 300 mile legs.

A 300 mile range ICEV is 300 miles when it really matters: on the highway at highway speeds. Around town, refueling is not a problem. It is traveling when range is most important.

2.6 mi/kwh highway efficiency (which is pretty darn good if the R2 can achieve it) for 300 miles requires 115 kWh. If that is 70% of the battery (assuming charging at 20% and up to 80%, which recommended when traveling), you need a usable capacity of 165 kWh.

If that is what you mean by a 300 mile range R2, then I am on board.
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Yeah but a 300 mile EPA range BEV is actually closer to 200 miles when on a trip. A 400+ mile range BEV might get you some good 300 mile legs.

A 300 mile range ICEV is 300 miles when it really matters: on the highway at highway speeds. Around town, refueling is not a problem. It is traveling when range is most important.

2.6 mi/kwh highway efficiency (which is pretty darn good if the R2 can achieve it) for 300 miles requires 115 kWh. If that is 70% of the battery (assuming charging at 20% and up to 80%, which recommended when traveling), you need a usable capacity of 165 kWh.

If that is what you mean by a 300 mile range R2, then I am on board.
For me, I am okay with stopping every 3 hours, so I want a solid, real world, 210 - 225 mile range from 10 - 80%. R2 ought to be able to deliver that with 90kwh - 100 kwh. Model X delivers that (330 miles on the 70 mph range test) with 100 kwh and it is substantially bigger.. The big BMW ix delivers a solid 340 miles+ on the 70 mph range test with a 105kwh battery. So I am expecting Rivian to hit my personal specs with a ~95 kwh battery which they ought to be able to fit into that smaller chassis with a 4695. (I think they will run out of space for much more than that.)

As always, your preferences and results may vary. :)