R1T vs Jeep Gladiator

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I’ve been a R1T guy, love everything about it. Can’t wait to get mine, throw my bike on top, pop open the roof top tent, and load up the gear tunnel. Ultimately, I want a fun adventure vehicle that is a pickup. However, I have recently found the Jeep Gladiator to be enticing as a fully loaded Rubicon is about 60K MSRP, betting I could get it down to at least mid 50’s. Just looks really fun to drive especially with the top off. Anybody have one of these or torn between the two? 25k difference is a big deal, and I definitely want some of the add-ons...what’s your thought? Pros / Cons for each? Do you think the t-top R1T will actually be offered?

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Jeep Gladiator 8E1CE6AE-353F-4CAA-A009-11637D72792E

Rivian R1T R1S R1T vs Jeep Gladiator 3E7951F3-F77B-4DE0-9C2A-AA0E264741B4
Sponsored

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
It's hard to tell how much the money difference is. You will get at least $7500 off MSRP on the Rivian, sometimes a lot more due to EV rebates.

You cannot option the Jeep up to the same performance levels you find in the Rivian; there is not a Hellcat option.

The advanced driver's aids such as autosteering are not available, and the rest are optional equipment.

I'd guess the price isn't going to be as different as you think, when you kit them out as similar as possible. But you won't get the high altitude passing power or instant throttle response in the gas or diesel options.

If you are buying a pure dirt toy, I'd probably get the lighter weight and cheaper gas Jeep. If you are buying an 'all-in-one' transportation system with the latest in safety and performance, I'd go for the Rivian.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When I saw the gladiator I was super excited. Unfortunately, when I test drove it I was disappointed. It felt like my previous Jeep. The seats were uncomfortable, no ventilated seat option, and if you spec it out with tech they’re stupid-expensive.

I could see it as a second/fun vehicle and then I’d go cloth and low-tech. But as a daily driver or only vehicle, it doesn’t work for me.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I've been also looking at the Gladiator. It's the only other pickup which I consider interesting.

However it misses a lot features I'd like to have:
- No ventilated seats
- No lane centering
- No 360 cameras
- Only 400W outlet(actually 400W shared between 2 outlets)
- No air suspension
- 0-60 > 8 seconds. This is really slow...

I've been test driving one and it felt really sluggish. The interior also doesn't have premium feeling by any means.

In general it's definitely very interesting and fun vehicle, but I think Rivian will fit better my criteria.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
The R1T is no doubt superior. But ya, It would be my only/daily...I’m thinking not having the frunk or any real storage space will be a big negative for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I've been also looking at the Gladiator. It's the only other pickup which I consider interesting.

However it misses a lot features I'd like to have:
- No ventilated seats
- No lane centering
- No 360 cameras
- Only 400W outlet(actually 400W shared between 2 outlets)
- No air suspension
- 0-60 > 8 seconds. This is really slow...

I've been test driving one and it felt really sluggish. The interior also doesn't have premium feeling by any means.

In general it's definitely very interesting and fun vehicle, but I think Rivian will fit better my criteria.
Im thinking along these lines also, I used to have a Mustang and that thing would bring a smile to my face and was so much fun to drive. The Gladiator has that vibe but everything else about the Rivian is better. I have the launch edition reserved but I’m really curious how the removable top option will look like and cost..and when.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm a Jeep guy, and the Gladiators are cool, fun vehicles. My problem with them is that they don't excel at anything. A Wrangler is better off road, & a typical half ton truck rides, handles, & tows better (and has better bed/payload).

I recommended a Gladiator to a buddy that had both a Wrangler & an F150. He loved driving the Wrangler (removable doors, top, etc) & only needed the truck for fairly light duty. Made sense for him to go from 2 car notes to a single cheaper note, but he ended up not doing it because his 4 wheeler wouldn't fit in the Gladiator bed...

Rivian is in a whole other class IMO. It will have incredible performance or comfort on road, and be very good off road as well. The perfect mix between a sports car & an off road vehicle, which provides a huge bang for the buck to me.
Sponsored