Sponsored

R1T Bed Bounce?

BigginsCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T | El Cap Grey | 20" AT
Have any R1T owners experienced "bed bounce" like some other full size pickup trucks experience? I am still awaiting my own R1T delivery but currently drive a Toyota Tundra Crewmax and it bounces something fierce when driving on segmented concrete highways around the Denver area. Really hoping the weight distribution and different wheelbase length on the R1T paired with the adjustable air suspension will result in a smoother ride quality compared to the Tundra.
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
This is my first pickup, but I have not noticed it. I feel like the battery pack weight would help control the bounce factor.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Won’t happen. it’s a unit body attached to a ladder frame, which is further stiffened by the giant frickin battery.

regular pickups have a cab and bed which are separately attached to a ladder frame Which is somewhat flexible in torsion

OP
OP

BigginsCH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T | El Cap Grey | 20" AT
Thanks for the insights all!

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Thanks for the insights all!
Just to add to this, I think it’s a combination of several things.

I never had bed bounce in my Ridgeline, but my F-150 had it. My R1T doesn’t have it, so I might say it’s the one piece body construction.

However, my Lightning doesn’t have it either. It m if Hr have eliminated this from the extra weight, and switching to an independent suspension.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Traditional truck beds are bolted onto the frame. Not the case with R1T. This is one piece.

Hence the $20k+ price for rear quarter panel damage.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Bed Bounce? 6151e1f56e43b.image

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
This is my fourth pickup. My previous RAM 2500 and F150 both had bed bounce. My new RAM 1500 limited and my R1T do not. The important factor is the rear suspension layout. Leaf springs vs. independent air suspension makes for a much more controlled ride.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
I’m not sure I understand the term “bed bounce”, as in my experience owning several pickups over the years I’ve never felt the bed itself bounce on its mounts. But if this refers to the entire rear end bouncing around on stiff suspension, especially with an unladen truck, I just took a test drive and in all-purpose mode the ride quality was excellent for an empty pickup. I drive a Tacoma my friend who has an older Tundra and a late-model F150 came along with me and we both thought that ride quality was excellent on some pretty choppy roads. It was noticeably stiffer in Sport mode but still felt well-controlled even on freeway expansion joints. Compared to my late model Tacoma TRD OffRoad with stock suspension the Rivian felt like a luxury car.
Sponsored