Sponsored

R1S Rear Underside Diffuser - Why Piano Black?!?!

Ingen

First Name
L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S QM-Large, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Filmmaker
Clubs

When I was at the Venice Hub, I noticed that the R1S has a glossy piano black rear underside diffuser, but the R1T has a matte ruggedized underside diffuser. At first I thought it was just on the pre-production models but now I'm seeing it on delivered R1S's (see that photo below from the R1S on cars and bids). Why would they do that? It looks good... for now, but obviously that rear area is going to get scratched up a LOT and more importantly, why make the part different than the R1T? I hope they change that over time.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Rear Underside Diffuser - Why Piano Black?!?! KP8AOLwa-cEfO2_xC5O-(edit)
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Rear Underside Diffuser - Why Piano Black?!?! KP8AOLwa-6Um9w_Mn5V-(edit)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
That might get a bit dirty/ dusty! Another reason to wash often and show the vehicle some luv!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Probably a truck vs. SUV issue, and what the typical buyer of each wants.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I never noticed or thought about different rear diffuser materials before, but a few minutes after reading this thread I found myself behind a Mercedes SUV with a glossy black rear diffuser region.

I'm not sure how old the vehicle was but the glossy black plastic didn't look any more dirty or beat up than the rest of the vehicle. I suspect this will be very low on my list of annoyances if it makes the list at all.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It’s gloss black in the configurator as well. Maybe it’s because gloss = “upscale”

thunderdeep

First Name
Deep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model3, Toyota Landcruiser, Porsche 911
Its probably gloss black to tie in to the roof gloss black aesthetic. Got to tie it all in so parts don't look random I guess.
Sponsored