Sponsored

Questions after test drive, current owners please help!

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430
Clubs

I have a R1S with 22" tires. I am sensitive to noise and motion. I find the extra acceleration of the S not really usable because it would give me motion sickness as could the rocking of the S on city streets. Now I am able to accelerated and deaccelerate very smoothly. You haven't indicated that you feel something special about the Rivian. I think that there is something special. I don't know if running boards will help but this could be a problem. If it doesn't make you feel special don't get it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

herbicider

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This fact is a deal breaker.

You will not be able to get your mom or the in-laws into the vehicle without difficulty. We deal with this. My wife's parents, who are in their 70s and its not just the height, but the very fact of having to step into the vehicle creates a very difficult situation. The addition of running board doesn't help either because having to step up and into.

The ground clearance alone is not the issue. Its the floor being much higher than an ICE equivalent due to battery farm and the seat being quite high relative to the ground adds to the complexity for elders, especially for short elders.

We kept our Outback just to deal with my wife's parents. Your other choices of EX90 or EV9 may work better. Maybe EQS-SUV if the cargo space fits your needs.

Just keep in mind that parents will get older and less able so if transporting them is a priority for you, Rivian is not a good choice.
Thank you very much for the info. That's exactly the owner's experience I'm looking for!