First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
The tire wear issue could be from that big smile on your face every time you hit the accelerator.
This is definitely highly likely!
Sponsored

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I drive to LA a few times a month and all over San Diego county. Have 14,350 miles now since March. Here are some things I have noticed on my longer drives. First I do have the 20" wheels and AT tires as I do plan to off-road and they look awesome! I want the 21" wheels and street tires as a second set but they are not offering them as an add on yet. I am told soon...

I use conserve mode and put the suspension height back to standard on the long freeway drives. DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE AT TIRES ON THE LOWEST SUSPENSION MODE! It will damage your tires when you hit bumps. For stop and go I recommend all purpose to reduce the wear on the front tires. Not a huge difference between conserve and all purpose for the most part. When you step on it in conserve mode you will spin your front tires some.

Biggest difference is the speed you drive at. The faster you drive your efficiency will drop exponentially. I recommend keeping pretty close to the speed limit. Driving 80, 85, 90 that will cut your range down quickly. My best efficiency (flat road) is slow traffic where its around 30 or 40 mph.

As for charging, I say set it to 85% and then charge every chance you get. Get the 21" wheels option for the best range and also cheaper tires. When you level 2 charge it is much easier on your battery. Its the fast charging all the time that wears it out. A Lithium battery has ions that get moved from one side to the other, when you get really low or really high there is more resistance and heat to get those last ions from one side to the other. Think of it like shaking the last bit of water out of a bucket. It just takes more work and wears things out faster.

I get 293 in conserve mode
about 272 in all purpose
about 240 in sport but my wife uses that most of the time so the calculations are based off of aggressive driving.

I am almost always right at 2kw per mile on my freeway drives when I am close to the speed limit.

Hot days will be worse and really cold will be much worse. Being in SD really cold has not really happened to me, but EV batteries really don't like the cold.

OP
OP
VenturaLuke

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
I drive to LA a few times a month and all over San Diego county. Have 14,350 miles now since March. Here are some things I have noticed on my longer drives. First I do have the 20" wheels and AT tires as I do plan to off-road and they look awesome! I want the 21" wheels and street tires as a second set but they are not offering them as an add on yet. I am told soon...

I use conserve mode and put the suspension height back to standard on the long freeway drives. DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE AT TIRES ON THE LOWEST SUSPENSION MODE! It will damage your tires when you hit bumps. For stop and go I recommend all purpose to reduce the wear on the front tires. Not a huge difference between conserve and all purpose for the most part. When you step on it in conserve mode you will spin your front tires some.

Biggest difference is the speed you drive at. The faster you drive your efficiency will drop exponentially. I recommend keeping pretty close to the speed limit. Driving 80, 85, 90 that will cut your range down quickly. My best efficiency (flat road) is slow traffic where its around 30 or 40 mph.

As for charging, I say set it to 85% and then charge every chance you get. Get the 21" wheels option for the best range and also cheaper tires. When you level 2 charge it is much easier on your battery. Its the fast charging all the time that wears it out. A Lithium battery has ions that get moved from one side to the other, when you get really low or really high there is more resistance and heat to get those last ions from one side to the other. Think of it like shaking the last bit of water out of a bucket. It just takes more work and wears things out faster.

I get 293 in conserve mode
about 272 in all purpose
about 240 in sport but my wife uses that most of the time so the calculations are based off of aggressive driving.

I am almost always right at 2kw per mile on my freeway drives when I am close to the speed limit.

Hot days will be worse and really cold will be much worse. Being in SD really cold has not really happened to me, but EV batteries really don't like the cold.
Thank you so much for the detailed info! I had read the info about low suspension tearing up the tires so I definitely won’t make that mistake. As for charging, should be all level 2. I have my charger at home and then a level 2 at work and I’m on shift for 24 hrs so plenty of time to slow charge before I leave again. Thanks again! How is your tire wear after those miles?

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Tire wear is not bad. To be clear though I had all 4 tires replaced under warranty because of the rubbing damaging the sidewalls in the conserve mode. Rivian still officially says this is not an issue but too many people including my experience say it is. This picture is my rear passenger side tire. About 11k miles on them almost all freeway.

Rivian R1T R1S Question for those who drive / commute long distances 1663800826146

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Just so I'm clear, you mean don't drive in lowest, but low is ok. I have been using All Purpose Auto that drops it to low (not lowest) at higher speeds. The only time I set it to lowest is when parked to make it easier for someone to get in or out.
Sponsored