Sponsored

Puddle lights with compass logo virtual in 360° view?

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I don’t think this has been discussed but maybe I’m not searching well.

Has anyone else noticed that the puddle lights with compass logo are virtual in the overhead view of the vehicle? I can’t figure out why Rivian went to the trouble of doing this, but it’s an interesting detail.

For example, with the driver’s door open I see this on the center display where both puddle lights are symmetrical and the points of the compass are either parallel with or perpendicular to the vehicle body. (Related, there seems to be part of a virtual puddle light centered under the driver’s seat)

However, the puddle lights are projected from the underside of the side view mirrors and they move as the doors are moved. This means that with the driver’s door open, I see the puddle light further away from the vehicle and the points are now angled relative to the vehicle body. This is what I see in real life where the vehicle is parallel with or perpendicular to the cut lines in the concrete and the compass points are now at an angle:
Mate! I am laughing so hard on this post. I had planned to check out the torch light and camp speaker (4 weeks of ownership) and I forgot about it. My R1 is at the SC for some initial minor issues. But, your post has reminded me to do just that when I get it back. Cheers!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I am pretty sure it is actually showing you what the camera sees, not a digital overlay of what it thinks the light should look like.

Perform this same test with a piece of black tape covering half of the light. I bet the display is going to show you the real half covered projection which will proves it isn't a virtual addition since the car has no way of knowing about the tape.

Alternatively, place something distinctive on the ground that exactly lines up with the position of the compass logo when the door is open. You are going to see it in the camera screen still perfectly lined up with the logo.
That makes total sense and I’ll try that.

I don’t understand where this is coming from, though. It appears to be the left edge of a puddle light in a location where the puddle light shouldn’t be in any camera view if I’m picturing things correctly. If it was the right edge of the puddle light then it would make more sense to me since a non-door camera could be including the right edge of a circle from the opened door position.
Rivian R1T R1S Puddle lights with compass logo virtual in 360° view? 1697050987766

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Unnecessary? Yes. But we think that is kind of cool.

Brian

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
Same with view of the bed when you retract your power tonneau (if you have one). The screen shows the cover retracting but that's simulated, not coming from the bed camera.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Same with view of the bed when you retract your power tonneau (if you have one). The screen shows the cover retracting but that's simulated, not coming from the bed camera.
Does the virtual power tonneau also get stuck?

Sponsored

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
Does the virtual power tonneau also get stuck?
No, it always works in virtual!

One guy figured out a fix for the stuck cover and he fixed his a couple times. He basically unlatched each panel from the closest to the gate back until the crooked one. He then brute force shoved one side of the crooked panel inward towards the back of the truck until it was even and then retracted it into the housing. Then did the same with each panel and it all went back in and then worked properly after that.

If you have a stuck one, try it, nothing to lose since the update will make it out eventually
Sponsored