Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I didn't take pictures of all the wavy lines on the bedsides either. The common question I was asked is "how much did you pay for it?". The fact that XPEL covered this for him is not something that is good for the consumer. At the end of the day XPEL has to make money and cover their costs. Those costs are most likely passed on in the form of higher product prices which means folks like us getting PPF installed will have to pay more because of a few shops that will not stand behind their work.

I should have known better than to trust it would be done in four days. He was recommended by the dealer (they had a good experience with him 6 months prior and said he had the car two weeks), he had high end cars in his shop, and he told me he had over 20 years experience. Based on all this I trusted it would be done as promised.

In the end I think we both learned from the experience and I am thankful that XPEL stood behind their product. I hope Chris is successful and that something like this doesn't happen to anyone else in the community.
Sponsored

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
Seems like the OP tried to use their limited YT fame to get a reduced price. Seems in general a whiner and willing to take advantage of a situation. Also seems like the job was not done perfectly but was rushed due to the OPs request. I thought the response from the company was reasonable and not contradicted on the facts.

OP
OP
240vPlug

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Seems like the OP tried to use their limited YT fame to get a reduced price. Seems in general a whiner and willing to take advantage of a situation. Also seems like the job was not done perfectly but was rushed due to the OPs request. I thought the response from the company was reasonable and not contradicted on the facts.
You sure have me figured out 😂.

Since auto film guys has offered to publicly share the emails I will make the same offer (PM me). I see no further need to continue this discussion here. I am only responding to the implication that I have been dishonest which is false and defamatory.

Last edited:

Arnie1

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander XSE, 2022 Toyota Avalon XSE
Occupation
Consulting Engineer
I just had a full Xpel clear wrap and all glass ceramic tint done on my R1S at Auto Film Guys and could not be happier with their work. I spent a week checking out 4 shops in Orland and Tampa Bay and based on their shop, their high end vehicle work with repeat customers, and most important their people i chose Auto Film Guys. What i learned from my research is that its 20% about the materials/film and 80% about the shop and installers. They walked me through the process in detail and answered all my questions and concerns on installation and maintenance. They even offer a 2 week reinspection to insure all is right and allay any concerns. Elliot and Chris are true professionals and very passionate about their work and go to any end to insure a happy customer. I am happy to recommend them..and already have to several of my neighbors..and will continue to do so.
Thanks AFG Team!

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL 20231027_100546

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL 20231027_100604

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL 20231027_100617

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL 20231027_100634

Rivian R1T R1S PSA: Poor Quality PPF Install - Auto Film Guys in Tarpon Springs, FL 20231027_100644

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
What others have said is this sounds like a rushed job and quality is what suffered the hit because of it. As someone who's ran multiple businesses in the construction and skilled trade industries I have came across many customers wanting work done it too short of a time frame or wanting to cut corners to meet a deadline.

It NEVER has ended well for me or anyone else I know in the industry. I don't put the fault of this on the customer, as it isn't their job to know better. This is why they pay a professional. If you're going to offer a service based business never let anything leave your shop or never leave the job until you're 100% satisfied you got the quality you're willing to sign your name to.

Reputation is much more important than any single job and taking work you know you don't have time for, including having staff come in on off days is a recipe for stuff like this to be the most likely outcome. No one won here. You have a pissed off customer and have had to deal with Xpel, which whether you realize it or not has hurt your reputation with them, and you have people like me who have never heard of your company reading about and weighing in on the situation. .

It's up to the industry professional to set the expectations and only take work they know will make money AND leave a happy customer. Sometimes that means not taking jobs with too short of time frame or with customers who are difficult. Not even saying the OP was difficult here necessarily there's no real way to know. He was pissed off over an obviously sub par job and even the most understanding and reasonable people can become insufferable pricks if they feel they are getting taken advantage of.

Some lessons are free, and some cost money. Personally nothing in the company's response really vindicates them here and by claiming the customer shortchanged you a couple hours or was irrationally angry and wouldn't let you fly up doesn't really shift any blame and TBH makes you look worse than no response at all. I'd edit your reply and stick to facts while making it clearer you made a mistake taking a job on too tough of a timeline if I was in your shoes.

It is fine to say you offered to come up and fix it and the customer declined but at that point you should have just apologized and offered a full refund. I would have taken it as a 7k dollar reminder not to shortchange your team the resources they need in order to produce the sort of quality work you're willing to attach your name to. After all, can you honestly say those huge relief cuts are acceptable work? If not, then you were in the wrong because it was on you to know better as the professional.

I hope you take this post in the spirit in which it is intended and not as a simple shitpost. I have learned this lesson myself a few times fairly early on in my career.

AutofilmguysFL

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you for your opinion and you bring in some strong points. It was a HUGE lesson learned as I value our reputation as a business. I learned to not take on a job I don't feel we will have to rush. We value our clients and as you can see, we do have very happy clients when we allow the proper install time.

One thing I would like to touch on is that my part of the post about me flying up was not to push blame but rather show that when we do make a mistake, that we will go the extra mile to make things right. At the end the of the day, we made the mistake by taking the job on with such a short time frame and are just happy Ken got what he was seeking in the end.
Sponsored