Sponsored

Production 2+ years out?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Good reminder. FWIW though I don't believe the $69k is for a "loaded" mid-range R1T. Articles I've seen indicate RJ mentioned the $69k is for a mid-range R1T with the electrochromatic roof. No reference to loaded, unless that will be the only way to get the electrochromatic roof ... hmm ... Ehh, it's still all a guessing game at this point. :facepalm:
That's weird. Looks like they edited. I remember reading an actual quote from Scaringe saying "well-equipped" with the electrochromic roof. Maybe they replaced the quote because "electochromic" isn't a term you run into every day?
Sponsored

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I wouldn't be surprised for a fully loaded R1T to run right at $99K (without accessessories like camp kitchen, tent, bolt-on battery pack, solar charging array, whatever else you can think of). "Just" a loaded vehicle with 180K pack.

Less than $100K is a very substantial price point emotionally and from a marketing perspective. Rivian has enough differentiation and positioning from existing EVs (Tesla) and future EVs (Cyber, Bollinger, Ford F150, Lordstown, etc.) to command a premium but not too much to cause buyers to wait.

When my wife saw the latest video (Always Learning) and said "I was waiting for the Lincoln EV but thats really cool - I might want one", Rivian is on the right track! Rivian is a premium vehicle targeted at adventuring - thats a very distinct position that no other EV has. From a marketing perspective, that is product gold.

"First is best, better is good (if after first), best is just okay (if last)"