privacy policy

OP
OP

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
The privacy policy and the touchscreen-only controls are the only things I have issues with about this vehicle, as they're both bad for my personal safety. If I cancel my order, it will likely be over these two issues.
Ha! What a coincidence, those are exactly my top two complaints about these otherwise phenomenal vehicles.

I just don't understand why some things like vent control and certain wiper functions are buried under touch screen menus.

Evidently 48 states have a ban on texting while driving (https://www.bts.gov/content/state-l...n-hand-held-devices-and-texting-while-driving). Why? Because taking your eyes off the road to navigate a touch screen is DANGEROUS. Dangerous to you, or a pedestrian, or a cyclist, or fellow drivers.

For what it's worth, a judge in Germany ruled that a driver that got in an accident when using Tesla's touchscreen (to adjust windshield wipers!) was at fault. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53666222

I believe Rivian has announced intentions to expand into the European market. They should take note that they're going to get looped into these kinds of court cases if they keep going down the touchscreen road . . .
Sponsored

OP
OP

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
And here's an interesting comparison. I checked Tesla's privacy policy, and I was pleasantly surprised:

https://www.tesla.com/legal/privacy
"Your Tesla generates vehicle, diagnostic, infotainment system, and Autopilot data. To protect your privacy from the moment you take delivery, Tesla does not associate the vehicle data generated by your driving with your identity or account by default. As a result, no one but you would have knowledge of your activities, location or a history of where you’ve been. Your in-vehicle experiences are also protected. From features such as voice commands, to surfing the web on your touchscreen, your information is kept private and secure, ensuring the infotainment data collected is not linked to your identity or account.

Tesla vehicles are equipped with a camera suite designed from the ground up to protect your privacy while providing advanced features such as Autopilot, Smart Summon, and Autopark. To recognize things like lane lines, street signs and traffic light positions, Autopilot data from the camera suite is processed directly without leaving your vehicle by default. In order for camera recordings for fleet learning to be shared with Tesla, your consent for Data Sharing is required and can be controlled through the vehicle’s touchscreen at any time. Even if you choose to opt-in, unless we receive the data as a result of a safety event (a vehicle collision or airbag deployment) — camera recordings remain anonymous and are not linked to you or your vehicle."

On vehicle processing, opt outs . . . this is way better than Rivian's privacy policy.

Suddenly, I'm considering a Tesla.

Any current Tesla drivers have any experience in this area to share?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Having a Tesla on order, should be here in a week or two, reading this makes me feel much better.
I know that by nature data collection is not looking to be harmful but I’ve been trying to share less and always opting out when possible.
I do agree that Rivian worries me with their relationship with Amazon and I would like to see an opt in option (in this case an opt out). Their policy seems to be an open door to any sort of abuse and over collection. It’s unfortunate.
I’m also wondering if vehicle/software updates will come with a price tag…
Sponsored