First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you had success in wrapping the roof’s shark fin antenna housing with PPF?

It seems like due to the curvature and shape, it would be difficult to wrap without an obvious seam?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
For the best results, I'd suggest going for a super flexible, top-notch PPF material. Before you apply it, make sure to give the shark fin housing a good clean and degrease. Any leftover gunk could mess with how well the PPF sticks and how long it lasts.
Grab a heat gun and gently warm the PPF as you put it on. This makes it all soft and cozy, so it can hug those tricky curves better. Slowly stretch the PPF to match the shape of the shark fin.
Also, consider making some relief cuts in the PPF. It helps it snuggle up to the curves like a champ, and you won't even notice the seams too much.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

The side mirrors need relief cuts for sure. I don't think they wrapped my shark fin on my T. I never checked...but they wrapped everything else.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

The side mirrors need relief cuts for sure. I don't think they wrapped my shark fin on my T. I never checked...but they wrapped everything else.
I'm curious as to the advantage of doing so... Is there 'risk' to the shark fin to the point where PPF would be beneficial in any meaningful way? I bet those are extreme edge cases, and I'd just as soon...not worry about it!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just be aware that if there is any metallic pigment in the PPF if could affect the RF signals.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I can see the fin getting hit by tree branches, low garages, or when loading things on the roof rack.

But I would expect that most impacts big enough to damage the paint on the fin (is it even painted?) are going to rip it off.

PPF isn't going to do anything to prevent it from being ripped off, and from people who have ripped it off we know that it doesn't just snap back on so you are going to have to replace it anyway.

Perhaps the goal is to preserve the appearance for a second life as a paperweight.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

My antenna was wrapped, it took two pieces, essentially sandwiching it from the sides. The seam is on the top from front to back.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
PPF won't save it from being ripped off by a garage door or similar. Which is the most likely sort of damage.
Sponsored