Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I like the clear hoses so is the level sensor just for filling? Would the system be less complex and electrical if the fill system was just the hoses? I like it and amazing work.
Sponsored

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
A long time PC modding and gaming buddy who I chat with daily about Tesla and Rivian were talking about a thread in RivianForums.com where forum member DannyC fit a small DC powered cooler in his R1T Frunk.

My buddy is a product design and manufacturing engineer with 20+ years of experience in rotomolding, CNC, electronics, SolidWorks, and other ventures for his actual day job.

On the concept of a bespoke cooler for the strange limitations of the Frunk volume, we got to talking about my coolers for camping, the Dometic style in overlanding, and if it would even be possible for the Frunk to use such a unit with more volume than current retail units offer.

We bounced ideas around for about 4 months, worked with the great Sue Smith from Munro & Associates for engineering assets, and DuckTruck let us poke around his R1T to take hundreds of photos.

The Design Brief ended up being a cleansheet 40 quart powered refriderator/freezer to specifically fit in, and work with, the R1 platform: highly robust, field repairable, functional, and likely to outlast the Rivian itself.

While working on these issues, we came up with the addition of a potable water tank to sit in the lower well of the Frunk: DC powered pump, solid state fill limit switch, baffled interior, washdown sprayer, and sturdy enough to replace the stock Frunk folding deck.

cool-21.jpg

cool-21-c.jpg

cool-21-d.jpg

cool-21-l.jpg

cool-15.jpg

cool-20.jpg

cool-19.jpg

tank-09.jpg

tank-08.jpg

tank-03.jpg

tank-14.jpg

tank-10.jpg

tank-11.jpg
Put me on the list, I have the plug so good to go

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
I like the clear hoses so is the level sensor just for filling? Would the system be less complex and electrical if the fill system was just the hoses? I like it and amazing work.
Yeah it could be done without the fill sensor but the sensor and shutoff are definite quality of life improvements for not that much extra cost.

lucent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Car
Do you have examples of finished products you have brought to market, maybe a website?

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Do you have examples of finished products you have brought to market, maybe a website?
Yes on products. No website for this project yet as we are just looking to see how much interest there is.

If we get to 200 - 300 or so interest people what I would like to do is create a private forum group for the project. I can post a few of the products and projects I have worked on previously, discuss any design changes or ideas people would like to see based on their experiences with the truck so far, discuss potential color options etc..

I can also lay out a rough production roadmap and timeline and then post progress updates there as production moves forward.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yes on products. No website for this project yet as we are just looking to see how much interest there is.

If we get to 200 - 300 or so interest people what I would like to do is create a private forum group for the project. I can post a few of the products and projects I have worked on previously, discuss any design changes or ideas people would like to see based on their experiences with the truck so far, discuss potential color options etc..

I can also lay out a rough production roadmap and timeline and then post progress updates there as production moves forward.
Why not create the group now and only move forward if you get enough participants? You'll lose some people at every step of the process so probably better to minimize the filters.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
A long time PC modding and gaming buddy who I chat with daily about Tesla and Rivian were talking about a thread in RivianForums.com where forum member DannyC fit a small DC powered cooler in his R1T Frunk.

My buddy is a product design and manufacturing engineer with 20+ years of experience in rotomolding, CNC, electronics, SolidWorks, and other ventures for his actual day job.

On the concept of a bespoke cooler for the strange limitations of the Frunk volume, we got to talking about my coolers for camping, the Dometic style in overlanding, and if it would even be possible for the Frunk to use such a unit with more volume than current retail units offer.

We bounced ideas around for about 4 months, worked with the great Sue Smith from Munro & Associates for engineering assets, and DuckTruck let us poke around his R1T to take hundreds of photos.

The Design Brief ended up being a cleansheet 40 quart powered refriderator/freezer to specifically fit in, and work with, the R1 platform: highly robust, field repairable, functional, and likely to outlast the Rivian itself.

While working on these issues, we came up with the addition of a potable water tank to sit in the lower well of the Frunk: DC powered pump, solid state fill limit switch, baffled interior, washdown sprayer, and sturdy enough to replace the stock Frunk folding deck.

tank-03.jpg

tank-14.jpg
The potable water tank is of more interest to me than the cooler/fridge. Looking forward to updates on this.

hattrick19

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Adventure;Limestone;21 , Subbie Ascent
Clubs

Definitely interested in both!

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
R1S pre-order here. I really appreciate this design and I am glad you came up with it rather than me spending thousands on failed attempts at DIY solutions. I don’t imagine your price point is prohibitive for many purchasing these vehicles, but I do offer a suggestion. Perhaps two models of coolers, one without refrig. just ice added for the short weekenders. A specific fit cooler has value for sure. I did not spend the time to read all 11 pages of posts, so apologies if this point has already have been covered. Good luck and count me in!

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
R1S pre-order here. I really appreciate this design and I am glad you came up with it rather than me spending thousands on failed attempts at DIY solutions. I don’t imagine your price point is prohibitive for many purchasing these vehicles, but I do offer a suggestion. Perhaps two models of coolers, one without refrig. just ice added for the short weekenders. A specific fit cooler has value for sure. I did not spend the time to read all 11 pages of posts, so apologies if this point has already have been covered. Good luck and count me in!
An ice only version would not be hard to do at all...I don't think there would be enough people interested to warrant a production run but I could be wrong. Either way, if there is enough interest I am happy to do an ice only version also.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

UGH ALRIGHT, count me as interested in both. Existing 12v plug owner

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
@BoxGods what are the implications from freezing weather on the water reservoir? Is there a way to keep the water from freezing or is this strictly for 32 degrees plus operation?

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
An ice only version would not be hard to do at all...I don't think there would be enough people interested to warrant a production run but I could be wrong. Either way, if there is enough interest I am happy to do an ice only version also.
I'd be interested in the ice only version! Could come in clutch for family road trips.
Sponsored