Sponsored

Porsche Taycan beats EPA rating in winter!

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
CNET did a winter range test on a Porsche Taycan 4S cross turismo and came out doing 245 Miles !

I beat the Porsche Taycan's EPA range even in winter (cnet.com)

Porsche is starting to really flex their muscles as a BEV maker!
The Taycan does great vs. the EPA range but less great when you consider the fact it’s a 93.4 kW pack. I don’t mind their approach, but they look good mostly because they set really low expectations.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I think it is huge considering its a real car, heavy, does not compromise on anything, drives wonderfully, and serves all the purposes of a Porsche.

What is less impressive, is the price tag though. Especially after the 4757830658305678 options you are offered, it can stack up pretty high.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That’s tshirt weather!

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The Taycan does great vs. the EPA range but less great when you consider the fact it’s a 93.4 kW pack. I don’t mind their approach, but they look good mostly because they set really low expectations.
Huh?

Most real world tests have the Taycan on pace with the best Model S in terms of efficiency. It's one of the most efficient EVs on the market, ESPECIALLY at highway speeds due to the transmission & in winter due to the heat pump.

We already know the R1T/R1S will be massively less efficient than the Taycan, so weird choice to dig on it. :CWL:

I get 260-280 miles of range in summer doing almost exclusively 78 and 84 mph. There are very, very few EVs that can match that and the R1T/R1S might not be one of them based on early efficiency info.

EPA & WTLP range numbers are an absolute laughing stock and should never even be looked at. Ever. They are useless. There are tons of real world testers out there with better info. Bjorn is a really solid one and you can see from his tests that the Model S and Taycan are basically the flagbearers for EV efficiency.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I think it is huge considering its a real car, heavy, does not compromise on anything, drives wonderfully, and serves all the purposes of a Porsche.

What is less impressive, is the price tag though. Especially after the 4757830658305678 options you are offered, it can stack up pretty high.
Oh yeah, the price tag starts adding up once you put in their million and 1 options.

But what gets me excited about this is, the Macan based EV that Porsche will probably announce later this year, and that will be a mass market vehicle.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Huh?

Most real world tests have the Taycan on pace with the best Model S in terms of efficiency. It's one of the most efficient EVs on the market, ESPECIALLY at highway speeds due to the transmission & in winter due to the heat pump.

We already know the R1T/R1S will be massively less efficient than the Taycan, so weird choice to dig on it. :CWL:

I get 260-280 miles of range in summer doing almost exclusively 78 and 84 mph. There are very, very few EVs that can match that and the R1T/R1S might not be one of them based on early efficiency info.

EPA & WTLP range numbers are an absolute laughing stock and should never even be looked at. Ever. They are useless. There are tons of real world testers out there with better info. Bjorn is a really solid one and you can see from his tests that the Model S and Taycan are basically the flagbearers for EV efficiency.
I was most certainly not suggesting the R1T/S will be more efficient than the Taycan. I was only commenting that applauding Porsche for beating clearly sandbagged numbers is silly.

The Taycan isn’t horribly inefficient for sure. It sure looks like Lucid might hold the crown though.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The Taycan is incredible and far more efficient at moving people than the R1T with it's extra 2000 pounds. But I assume most people buying the R1T are buying it because they need a pickup truck form factor so the inefficiency is a tradeoff for function.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I just like that if Porsche tells you a 0-60 time and range for their car, that's the MINIMUM. Every single car they sell outperforms their claims, and it's hard not to applaud that.

Tesla is one of the worst at exaggerating and it's hard not to argue that Rivian is following along.. we already know the range and 0-60 numbers they've been advertising probably aren't real. The EPA being incompetent at testing EVs only helps the false narratives.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
That’s tshirt weather!
As an Ontarian I can relate to this winter testing :D

We are not as winter tested as Manitobans :like:

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Related to this, I have real concerns over the R1T/R1S in winter. I don't know why there isn't a heat pump and I think it could really be a problem. It's quite proven at this point that heat pumps drastically improve the function of EV batteries in cold weather, relating to both efficiency and charging, and just an odd decision not to have one on these cars.

Time will tell.
Sponsored