First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
I was cruising down 35 here in Austin today when I ham-fisted an attempt to turn on Driver+ and depressed the park button on the stalk for a second. The car lurched like it was under braking and made a grinding sound from the front wheels, and showed an error message that read something like "come to a complete stop to go into park." Thanks Captain Obvious, you've been promoted to Admiral.

I was certainly taken aback. I'll be more careful in the future, but more than anything I figured a software lockout would prevent the car from even attempting to enter park while at 70mph. I haven't had the guts to try it a second time to see if that's what really happened. A forum search didn't turn this up... anyone else want to admit to being this clumsy?
Were you going by an In ‘n Out Burger? You Rivian wanted you to stop! Haha
Sponsored

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
I've accidentally hit that button multiple times while driving trying to set cruise control. That's how I set it on my previous truck and my brain works more on muscle memory these days.
It always just tells me I need to slow down before trying to Park. It has never applied the brakes.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
To be fair, the braking wasn't that abrupt. I was more surprised by the grinding noise it made.
There is a legal requirement about the maximum deceleration that shall not be exceeded with park brake while the vehicle is moving (maybe about 0.3G?) due to the instability it would cause to lock up the rear axle.

(One of my job back in the old days was to implement this feature for electric parking brake vehicles. That time they were much more rare and manual handbrakes were the normal
Those were the days where the control of the electric brakes were not figured completely out yet and Jaguar had a recall because their park brake randomly engaged on freeways even you were driving over 140kmph speed. Was very dangerous --> hence the legal requirement was born later to limit the force an EPB can apply
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2004/RCDNN-04V488-9617.pdf )

Last edited:

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Yeesh.
I'm sorry this is a surprise to anyone.

Literally one of the first...3 things... my Delivery Guy told me was that is how to activate the emergency brake while driving.

I'm flabbergasted that this isn't on a standard Rivian Delivery checklist!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
To be fair, the braking wasn't that abrupt. I was more surprised by the grinding noise it made.
Yeah, that was your brake pads and rotors saying "you're killing meeeeeee!!"

I once had to panic-stop our old Expedition from 65mph while towing out boat (3,500lb load)... when we stopped rolling I opened my window.. you could smell the pads & rotors burning o_O

Sponsored

OP
OP
strangelove

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

It’s been a while since I had a real e-brake. I miss those days, especially during Midwest snow season. I’ll have to give the Rivian one at least a shot the next time an snowpocalypse buries Texas. For science!

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I was cruising down 35 here in Austin today when I ham-fisted an attempt to turn on Driver+ and depressed the park button on the stalk for a second. The car lurched like it was under braking and made a grinding sound from the front wheels, and showed an error message that read something like "come to a complete stop to go into park." Thanks Captain Obvious, you've been promoted to Admiral.

I was certainly taken aback. I'll be more careful in the future, but more than anything I figured a software lockout would prevent the car from even attempting to enter park while at 70mph. I haven't had the guts to try it a second time to see if that's what really happened. A forum search didn't turn this up... anyone else want to admit to being this clumsy?
Been there.....don't that. I have driven the R1T more than our Rav4 Prime. On the Prime the windsheild wipers are on the right side of the steering wheel and on the Rivian on the Left. I have many times confused them.

When I first got the R1T I pushed the button while driving and same thing happened......that was the first and only time I did that.

superfly_snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Glacier White
Considering the cars I drove the last 17 years before getting my R1S had a button on the end of the right hand stalk to engage cruise control it took me very little time to make this mistake and to try and engage park while doing 70mph on the interstate. It only happened that one time and the vibration and noise was definitely a bit of a shock.
Sponsored