Sponsored

PPF Paint Protection Film ...Thoughts?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If you cover your shit in a thick layer of dirt it tends to hide the chips and other dirtier dirt.
WORKIN ON IT.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good thing about Glacier White - you don't usually need to do as extensive a paint correction process with white paint (scratches are much harder to see) so that should hopefully translate to less cost.

PPF:I have had Xpel on every one of my vehicles for the last 15 years and it has absolutely saved me from tearing up the front end of whatever I have had it on. It is absolutely worth its weight in gold.

The R1T with that flat front end is going to be an absolute magnet for rock chips.

I usually do the partial PPF package that includes:
  1. Front Bumper
  2. Partial Hood
  3. B-Pillars
  4. Door sills
  5. Sideview mirrors
The great thing about white with the partial PPF is that the line where the PPF ends is nearly invisible but on darker color paints you can absolutely see it which can be off putting to some and leads many to get the full PPF which can be outrageously expensive.

Ceramic Coating: In my humble view, ceramic coatings are just not worth it. They cost 10 times more than applying a high quality paint sealant and unlike a paint sealant, you have to absolutely baby them. You can't go through any automatic car washes because the soap they use is too harsh and will strip the coating. You also have to hand wash. I repeat HAND WASH the ceramic coated cars with special (read expensive) PH neutral soaps and you have to wash your car regularly. If you leave the dirt and contaminants sit on the ceramic coating too long, you will need to use harsher soap to wash it off which then risks the coating.

Also, those long warranties that detailers advertise? Usually you need to prove you've been washing correctly with the right techniques, soaps, and frequency. Even then you may need to re-apply a top layer every so often.

Ceramic coatings, despite the claims, won't protect your car from chips or scratches.

I have been using this Paint Sealant Kit by Klasse forever and it is absolutely amazing. Depending on how rough I am on the vehicle, I can go 1 year before reapplying. No special soaps, washing techniques, or frequencies required and my local detailer (who now uses Klasse on his own cars) charges me what he would charge to do a regular detail ($199).

Also, the deep gloss is absolutely stunning and beats out ceramic coatings that I have seen. See my i3s getting a recent application below.

Klasse.png
Will that also work over PPF or is there another one designed for that?

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Great points @Hmp10. The last I saw was that 3M had a 7 year warranty, but after looking at their website it looks like they stepped up their game. The only difference I can see at this point is the Xpel is slightly thicker at 0.0085 vs 0.0080 in the 3M. The Llumar's hydrophobic coating definitely could be a consideration depending on what the price difference is, if any...And like you said, finding the best installer and going with them and what product they use. Either way, what little bit of light off-roading I do, and the fact that no matter how far away I park, there is always that MORON that will park right next to me so I will definitely be getting a full wrap.
I have the Llumar on 3 vehicles. One matte and two regular. The hydrophobic properties are impressive which do seem better on the non matte. After a car wash they sparkle like they have just been waxed.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Good thing about Glacier White - you don't usually need to do as extensive a paint correction process with white paint (scratches are much harder to see) so that should hopefully translate to less cost.

PPF:I have had Xpel on every one of my vehicles for the last 15 years and it has absolutely saved me from tearing up the front end of whatever I have had it on. It is absolutely worth its weight in gold.

The R1T with that flat front end is going to be an absolute magnet for rock chips.

I usually do the partial PPF package that includes:
  1. Front Bumper
  2. Partial Hood
  3. B-Pillars
  4. Door sills
  5. Sideview mirrors
The great thing about white with the partial PPF is that the line where the PPF ends is nearly invisible but on darker color paints you can absolutely see it which can be off putting to some and leads many to get the full PPF which can be outrageously expensive.

Ceramic Coating: In my humble view, ceramic coatings are just not worth it. They cost 10 times more than applying a high quality paint sealant and unlike a paint sealant, you have to absolutely baby them. You can't go through any automatic car washes because the soap they use is too harsh and will strip the coating. You also have to hand wash. I repeat HAND WASH the ceramic coated cars with special (read expensive) PH neutral soaps and you have to wash your car regularly. If you leave the dirt and contaminants sit on the ceramic coating too long, you will need to use harsher soap to wash it off which then risks the coating.

Also, those long warranties that detailers advertise? Usually you need to prove you've been washing correctly with the right techniques, soaps, and frequency. Even then you may need to re-apply a top layer every so often.

Ceramic coatings, despite the claims, won't protect your car from chips or scratches.

I have been using this Paint Sealant Kit by Klasse forever and it is absolutely amazing. Depending on how rough I am on the vehicle, I can go 1 year before reapplying. No special soaps, washing techniques, or frequencies required and my local detailer (who now uses Klasse on his own cars) charges me what he would charge to do a regular detail ($199).

Also, the deep gloss is absolutely stunning and beats out ceramic coatings that I have seen. See my i3s getting a recent application below.

Klasse.png
Thanks for the tip on Klasse products. I just used your link to autogeek with the coupon code AGSAVE25 and got the whole kit for $17 off! It’s much cheaper than Amazon. Can’t wait

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Thanks for the tip on Klasse products. I just used your link to autogeek with the coupon code AGSAVE25 and got the whole kit for $17 off! It’s much cheaper than Amazon. Can’t wait
Right on, brother! I should probably start doing referrals on some of these product suggestions. :)

Keep us posted on how you like the Klasse products.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

@skyote @jimcgov3 Great RS youtube video/podcast on PPF coatings. Your expert was preaching some of the same things I've been saying here and have experienced dealing with PPF and car coatings as a consumer for the last 15 years.

Keep up the great work and if you are looking for the SASSquatch view of car care, I'll be your huckleberry. :cool:

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Pro
Just got mine back. I went with full wrap using XPEL ultimate fusion. If you're in the LA area, I highly recommend the guys over at American Wrap Company.

BHWhite

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi Q7
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Just got mine back. I went with full wrap using XPEL ultimate fusion. If you're in the LA area, I highly recommend the guys over at American Wrap Company.

How long did it take? Ballpark price? Thanks

Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

It depends on the film you select I spent about 10k out the door on film, tint, and powder coat.

I believe a full wrap is around 8k.

Dropped off Monday and the vehicle was ready Friday
Looks great! Very nice!

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
I removed the pot from my R1t order
Iam using the ppf with ceramic later
I will use this shop in Portland, 1950.00
Two days down time

may / June delivery

Rivian R1T R1S PPF Paint Protection Film ...Thoughts? FC8B2EFB-65BA-4573-A425-573E55093090
Sponsored