PaaK causing issues with phone?

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I just picked up my R1T Saturday and set up my phone as a key. Works pretty well so far. But since then I have noticed that my phone seems to use about twice the energy and streaming via BT is now horrible.
I am a light phone user - so I usually only use ~20% of my phone's battery during a day. Since setting up PaaK I have noticed that I am using 60% or more.
Even more annoying is that streaming to my earbuds is a nightmare! Play just stops randomly. If I hit "play" again it starts up again, maybe for minutes, maybe for a couple seconds. My garage is fairly close to the area that I notice this most. For instance, once I get a couple houses away from it, the playback is solid.
I only have 2 days with the truck, so very few data points, but it seems to correlate well and makes sense since PaaK is BT based.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything I can do? I am waiting on an upgrade (iPhone 8 --> 14) and hoping that will help, but have no reason to believe it will help. Thoughts, advice?
Sponsored

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I haven't run into any Bluetooth issues, but battery is a known and documented thing.
I honestly just drag the key along with me now days, it's better than having to charge my phone mid day and having the truck just unlocking and locking itself all day long in the garage while I'm inside.

OP
OP

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I would disable PaaK if that fob wasn't so big. Sure, it looks cool, but as a practical device to drag along it's too big for me. I am hoping (but not expecting) they will add a small, normal looking fob in the future.
Anything to do about the battery use short of not using PaaK?

raiden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I would disable PaaK if that fob wasn't so big. Sure, it looks cool, but as a practical device to drag along it's too big for me. I am hoping (but not expecting) they will add a small, normal looking fob in the future.
Anything to do about the battery use short of not using PaaK?
Swipe up to kill the app in multitask to prevent it from running in the background. Once you kill the app, you can go to the Bluetooth settings, and 'Rivian Sensor #' will no longer show up when you're around the truck. You can Battery settings to verify battery consumption. It's a pain and you have to remember to open the app again

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I just picked up my R1T Saturday and set up my phone as a key. Works pretty well so far. But since then I have noticed that my phone seems to use about twice the energy and streaming via BT is now horrible.
I am a light phone user - so I usually only use ~20% of my phone's battery during a day. Since setting up PaaK I have noticed that I am using 60% or more.
Even more annoying is that streaming to my earbuds is a nightmare! Play just stops randomly. If I hit "play" again it starts up again, maybe for minutes, maybe for a couple seconds. My garage is fairly close to the area that I notice this most. For instance, once I get a couple houses away from it, the playback is solid.
I only have 2 days with the truck, so very few data points, but it seems to correlate well and makes sense since PaaK is BT based.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anything I can do? I am waiting on an upgrade (iPhone 8 --> 14) and hoping that will help, but have no reason to believe it will help. Thoughts, advice?
I'm on the iphone 14 and the BT issue is still prevalent. Spotify stops constantly while I'm working on my mac in my office. Pretty sure it's the truck BT overriding my Mac. No idea how to fix it.

I haven't noticed any major battery issues.

Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Phones normally enter a suspend state (call it deep sleep, suspend idle, etc) and what I've noticed is the Rivian app prevents this.

Your phone won't show it as that particular app using energy, but since it keeps it from sleeping properly it will drain about 2x as fast as normal in my experience. I'm not sure there's a way to make proximity PAAK work without that (if the phone's asleep it's not pinging looking for a car) so I force kill the app when I'm at home not driving.

Denver_Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Velar, 2017 Colorado ZR2
Occupation
SaaS Sales
My phone battery is absolutely terrible since using it as a key for the R1T. Couldn’t figure out what was happening until I read this post. Thank you

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yup. It’s a thing. I feel like the PAAK function has been working more reliably (since last OTA???) but the app still kills my phone. I have to remember to shut off the app or my phone won’t last much past lunchtime.

Haven’t notice any BT issues but it could be a thing.
Sponsored