Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Disccovery 4
Occupation
photographer
Hi EVnewb,

Iceland actually has the second highest rate of EV market penetration after Norway. In 2020, 1 in 4 new registered cars were fully electric vehicles. 58% of registrations were either ev, hybrid, or methane.
As for those big trucks, they are primarily used to drive tourists around, but there are also used by farmers and people living in rural areas...but really it is mostly enthusiasts and tour guides. Outside of a very few extremely remote farms, no one needs a Land Cruiser with 38" tires to get around, even in winter. Most of Iceland's population is in Reykjavik, where you do not need a big car.
Unfortunately, energy is not cheap unless you are a giant aluminum smelter, silica plant, data center or other heavy industry player. Consumers pay a pretty high rate for electricity...I know most recent comparisons were that people in Reykjavik pay 20-30% more than people in Stockholm for their electricity. I live in the countryside, where the costs are a lot higher. Still, they are lower than the price of diesel fuel, and certainly less polluting, since it is mostly green.

EV infrastructure is getting better. I think already most towns, if not all, have charging options, but since I do not have a vehicle right now, I am not that aware of it all yet.
Sponsored