First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord
Occupation
Manager
Hey all. I am a newcomer to the forum, I’m planning on making my next vehicle purchase in 4-6 years. With that being said I’m a huge fan of what Rivian could end up being, however, do you guys think Rivian will still be around then? Will there be more models? Will the range on the RT1 improve? Very excited to see how everyone’s RT1’s pan out in the coming years and hopefully I will be purchasing my own.
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Hey all. I am a newcomer to the forum, I’m planning on making my next vehicle purchase in 4-6 years. With that being said I’m a huge fan of what Rivian could end up being, however, do you guys think Rivian will still be around then? Will there be more models? Will the range on the RT1 improve? Very excited to see how everyone’s RT1’s pan out in the coming years and hopefully I will be purchasing my own.
Given the investment made in the company by major players (Amazon, Ford, others) and the fact that Amazon has contracted to purchase 100,000 EV delivery vans from the company, I think Rivian is a good bet.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
The next vehicles will be smaller and likely arriving right as you are purchasing. You will have some pretty cool options.

OP
OP
Vegeta

Vegeta

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 honda accord
Occupation
Manager
The next vehicles will be smaller and likely arriving right as you are purchasing. You will have some pretty cool options.
Any word on what those vehicles will be like?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Any word on what those vehicles will be like?
Smaller, less powerful (& slower), less expensive. Very likely two instead of four motors. They have announced nothing specific, and in fact have not completely finalized the design of vehicles shipping next year, let alone in 4-6.

Technology will open up new possibilities by then. If anyone on this board knew exactly what and when, they could be very wealthy indeed from their investments (QuantumScape or ??).

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Given the investment made in the company by major players (Amazon, Ford, others) and the fact that Amazon has contracted to purchase 100,000 EV delivery vans from the company, I think Rivian is a good bet.
I would agree that Rivian is a good bet.

The critical indicators will be in the first few months and into the first year the R1T and R1S is in the public hands. Quality and performance will be key. If past value delivered to the LE customers is not perceived by the public as good and reliable, they will be a good aquisition target for their patents. The margin of errors Rivian has is extremely small.

They have had 10+ years to build a premium quality product.

I am drinking the KoolAid as an LE Launch Green reservation holder.?

Rivian R1T R1S Newcomer possible future R1T owner First Retail Rivian R1T

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
It’s not often you get to be the guinea pig on a $100,000 consumer product. Enjoy the ride! I bought my Tesla in 2015 when their financial viability was far from certain. Given that Tesla has plowed the path, I think there’s far less risk with Rivian than there was with Tesla at that time. Rivian seems much more focused; whereas Tesla has always seemed to be too focused on tangential things (Mars, SpaceX) or what’s next (Roadster, CyberTruck, semi’s) vs. putting the majority of their energy into the task at hand.

Bottom line, I think we’re pretty safe with Rivian. IMO the market cap of these companies makes them too expensive for traditional auto makers to acquire. Tesla’s market cap is 3x it’s closest competitor (Toyota). I wouldn’t be shocked to see Rivian take the #2 spot if and when they decide to go public.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
It’s not often you get to be the guinea pig on a $100,000 consumer product. Enjoy the ride! I bought my Tesla in 2015 when their financial viability was far from certain. Given that Tesla has plowed the path, I think there’s far less risk with Rivian than there was with Tesla at that time. Rivian seems much more focused; whereas Tesla has always seemed to be too focused on tangential things (Mars, SpaceX) or what’s next (Roadster, CyberTruck, semi’s) vs. putting the majority of their energy into the task at hand.

Bottom line, I think we’re pretty safe with Rivian. IMO the market cap of these companies makes them too expensive for traditional auto makers to acquire. Tesla’s market cap is 3x it’s closest competitor (Toyota). I wouldn’t be shocked to see Rivian take the #2 spot if and when they decide to go public.
I am with you that Rivian is a safe option and I would not be a an LE reservation holder if I did not think they would be successful.

In addition to your good points you outlined, the energy of the company, the forethought of the environment on how they produce their product (talking about the secondary use of the batteries as an example), and each employee’s enthusiasm to produce a quality product contributes to being a safe option. That does not include the investor‘s that also believe in them.

I believe they have researched the history of th auto industry to avoid the pitfalls. It is the unforeseen variables, Covid for one, and I don’t think they will be the betamax of the car industry.

I am confident of my choice to get a Rivian.

johnFun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra and Harley Sportster
Occupation
Enviroinmental Consultant in Seattle
Thanks for your information, and your optimism!

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I think longevity is everyones overriding concern. All details roll up to that.

I know it is my chief concern manifested in "Did I just throw away 75K?"

I am planning to buy and 75K is a significant amount of money for me, so in essence I agree with everyone on the thread.

However asking a forum like this about whether they like Rivian is like asking your mom if you are special.
Sponsored