Sponsored

New Rivian Patent for Autonomous Driving

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
That seems kind of backward. The poorer the driver, the more need to activate autonomous features. They seem to be doing the opposite.

Maybe Rivian engineers have been tasked with quota of patents to be made in Rivian's name? Dunno.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
This may relate to an interview I saw from Rivian autonomous engineer - they need to be able to detect and not act on spurious inputs - not sure if the patents relates to the wrong person (like a child) activating, in which case this seems like a good sign because it would seem that the typical driver (adult) might not be fully engaged or even situated to drive, which would seem to indicate a high degree of autonomy, or, more likely, just to avoid spurious inputs.... either way, if that's really what is going on, I like it.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
This reads like you’d be able to, as the owner of the vehicle, define who was allowed to do what. Autonomous driving functions, today at least, need an alert driver. If the driver doesn’t understand the capabilities then they can get themselves into trouble. So if the vehicle is being used by someone else then you may want to be able to limit what the car will let them do. Say your son or daughter after they’ve learned to drive.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
Yeah but under what circumstances? If they start the car without you, or if they inadvertently actuate control mechanisms while you are in the driver seat? I can't tell, though to be honest I haven't really read it in any detail.

Sponsored

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
Sounds like an interlock device for autonomy driving. Also sounds like facial recognition while in the driver seat. I'm for it!

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It would be cool if it automatically recognized the driver to set seat, mirrors, and other customized settings.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I like it with one caveat...

I am definitely going to let SOME of my friends and family drive the truck and use some of the autonomous features to show it off...Does that mean that I have to setup a profile under each individual person in order for the truck to "allow" them to use the autonomous functionality?? Hopefully there will be a Guest profile.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just hope it will allow "wife mode" for greatly reduced horsepower. ;-)

Sponsored

Estolworthy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti and Kia
Occupation
LEO
It would be cool if it automatically recognized the driver to set seat, mirrors, and other customized settings.
This would be best at driver door so the seat will be ready prior to getting in.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This would be best at driver door so the seat will be ready prior to getting in.
Yes, unless the seat automatically moves to an exit position. I too have felt the pain of accidentally hopping into a seat still set for my wife.
Sponsored