Sponsored

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
I figured I would share my 3 months of ownership and my experience thus far.

I drive a lot
I will be in the same boat as you when I take delivery. I am actually extremely interested to know how the truck is holding up as a "real" daily driver. Many cars that I've owned are solid for the first 5-15k but then creaks and/or small rattles creep in. How is the R1T holding up so far, is there any noticeable wear/tear yet?
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Afternoon everyone!

I figured I would share my 3 months of ownership and my experience thus far.

I drive a lot, 1hr commute each way to and from my office. I spent 18yrs working locally so the last 5yrs are offsetting that one, haha!

The R1T has been a nice change to my commute!

The ideal scenario for my commute, which includes my daily gym trip, the drive from the gym to my office, and any errands on my way home (if needed). I live easily within the 20 - 70% SOC that Rivian offers as its "DAILY" charging limit.

My typical week looks like the following:

Sunday evening only if needed I will schedule a minimum amount of charging time while at home to get the truck's SOC to about 100-120miles before I leave for the gym in the morning.

My trip from home to the gym(8miles) and then from the gym to my office is 55miles, so 63miles in total and typically I will arrive at work with about 40-60miles remaining.

Monday: While at work I charge using an Emporia Energy L2 (48a) charger (Highly Recommended, $450) and I will charger until I hit the 70% limit.

Monday Evening: Drive home (arrive w/174miles) and NO charging at home Monday evening.

Tuesday Morning: Drive back to gym and office arriving with roughly 111miles remaining, plug in and charge to 70%.

Wed, Thur. & Fri: The rest of my week is drive, charge, repeat with no effort.

On Friday's I tend to work later and get some extra juice into the battery usually I just bump the limit to 85% and forget about it.

If my weekend looks to be a busy one I will charge at home but typically I have been averaging 4hrs or less over the weekend and often times no need to charge at home.

It's been great so far given the price of fuel and what it was costing me previously in my Audi Allroad each week.

As you can see my build has the 21" road wheels and tires, overall I think 2.73mi/kwh average is pretty dam good! The mix of my 63mile daily commute is about 15miles city driving and the remaining 48ish on the highway with cruise set from 73-76mph.

In addition I leave my cross bars installed on the bed rails 95% of the time and even my hitch bike rack on the back for several days at a time if I am not riding from my house.

My electric rate at work (daytime peak) varies from about about $.11 - $.13/kw so in effect the 8,000miles have cost an average of $361 in total!

My 14' Audi Allroad would have cost me about $1,890 in total!

Broken down as $1,760 (25mpg) in fuel (93octane @ $5.50/gal) for the same 8,000miles driven in addition to $130 for 2 oil changes (not including my labor).

Overall I am very pleased with the truck and look forward to ownership and racking up more miles...
I'm familiar with the terrain & roads in Delaware and SE Pennsylvania, and I'm curious about the type of route and how it relates to your 2.73 mi/kwh. It sounds like this is mostly flat 4 lane highways like 1 or 95, vs. commuting north into the rolling hills?

OP
OP
FirstStateR1T

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I will be in the same boat as you when I take delivery. I am actually extremely interested to know how the truck is holding up as a "real" daily driver. Many cars that I've owned are solid for the first 5-15k but then creaks and/or small rattles creep in. How is the R1T holding up so far, is there any noticeable wear/tear yet?
So far nothing is showing its head. I hate any noise like your describing so I will say its been a very nice and extremely quiet 8k so far!

OP
OP
FirstStateR1T

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I'm familiar with the terrain & roads in Delaware and SE Pennsylvania, and I'm curious about the type of route and how it relates to your 2.73 mi/kwh. It sounds like this is mostly flat 4 lane highways like 1 or 95, vs. commuting north into the rolling hills?
As I mentioned previously the route is a mix of city and yes mostly highway (95, 295, 42, ACExpwy) all relatively flat, where as my local driving near home is hilly at times.
Sponsored