Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
....but [perhaps] not the car I need 🙃

Rivian R1T R1S [Musings] The R1S is the car I want... 1704163556959

To clarify, I have no doubts about the vehicle itself. The company and RJ have been increasingly more convincing in recent times. All issues, complains of SC experiences aside, I'd be ready for this car. And I do need a second car soon enough. BUT, I don't have pre-hike pricing (reserved Sep '22) which means I'll be stretching my (plus spouse) wallet a bit - coming from a recent home purchase as well. AND, given current rules, I won't be eligible for ANY Federal tax credit.

Sadly, the R2S might not suffice my needs (size). I'm hopeful for a Dual+Standard if and when that comes out. Let's see....
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Forget the S. Just go grab yourself a used R1T and enjoy your life with more $ in your wallet :cool:

OP
OP

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I think the R2 will be a great car given the learnings from the R1. If it were available today, I'd probably get it IF it didn't have the glass roof, coil springs, and was overall a simpler car. If you can wait-take a look at that. If not-consider used. You always have options.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I love my R1, but lets be real here it's just a car. It's a great car, and it does a lot of stuff really well but you can spend half what I did and get a perfectly good ICE truck that does all the truck stuff it does and works really well as a dependable transportation. There are a lot of good SUVs for 50-60K. Don't put yourself in a tight spot financially over ANY vehicle. If my finances were the way they were years ago I would be buying and rebuilding salvage vehicles to drive like I have done in the past to save money.

The first order of business is financial security, and I know reading about people in here and the stuff they buy makes you really want those things too. The way you get them is by not spending money you don't have and investing in yourself and future. Make good financial choices and you'll be getting a whole bunch of that fun stuff sooner down the road than you realize. It might not be the current hotness which is an R1S but tons of companies make all sorts of cool stuff and new things come out all the time. Maybe you'll be rolling a flying car in ten years by not buying the Rivian today. You never know, what I do know is spending money you shouldn't is a recipe for not being able to afford any of those things.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Forget the S. Just go grab yourself a used R1T and enjoy your life with more $ in your wallet :cool:
+1, circa $20k delta, some of it related to 22 vs 23 MY.

Rivian R1T R1S [Musings] The R1S is the car I want... A07225F2-E29D-4F96-A62B-CA5874A84269

Rivian R1T R1S [Musings] The R1S is the car I want... B0F647CE-D541-4EB9-BB74-85B73A0049AB

OP
OP

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
spending money you shouldn't is a recipe for not being able to afford any of those things
Agreed 100%. Which is why I haven’t bitten the bait. Just thought the batman-esque quip was share worthy

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

if only that could work
Please explain your use case, why doesn't R1 work?

We almost got an R1S but my wife ended up with a Rav4 Prime. We took it on our normal cabin trip this weekend, and there were so many shortfalls compared to the R1T that were all related to SUV vs R1T (more than just truck) things, not ICE vs EV. Lack of gear tunnel was the big "dafuq" for me, shoving stuff in the back with not enough room or putting shoes on against the tailgate.

I think the R2 will be a great car given the learnings from the R1. If it were available today, I'd probably get it IF it didn't have the glass roof, coil springs, and was overall a simpler car. If you can wait-take a look at that. If not-consider used. You always have options.
Absolutely. If available today, we would've gone R2 over Rav4. Honestly, an R2T would be perfect for her, just a little smaller, Chevy S10 sized. I can't see us living without the gear tunnel anymore!

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

As noted, there are increasingly lightly used R1S's around. See if you can save yourself a bit on a deal! It's been a fabulous vehicle for a first go from Rivian.

OP
OP

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
please explain your use case, why doesn't R1 work?
for sure. I regularly will need the 3rd row seat for additional passengers. also, not sure what I would really do with the truck bed space

As noted, there are increasingly lightly used R1S's around.
I really thought those were going for a lot more ("flips") or close to. will look more into it 👍

Kamster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlanders
I may be missing something but the R1S has a 3rd row and while I didn't sit back there on my demo drive, all indications are even adults can sit back there. The R1S Dual motor / Standard Pack is available and while it may be the low end it has all the features just not fancy colored seats and dash. Yes it is still and 80k vehicle, but a standard Chevy Suburban base edition is still 60k and that is FWD V8 that will suck down gas just driving it out of the driveway. What I tell folks that have just bought a house is, first save for the emergency fund, stuff always blows up and you will want ready cash to fix it. Then give yourself 6 months to see how your finances shake out before your next big purchase. Congrats on the new house, best of luck
Sponsored