Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Here is what I don’t understand about this test. Why is it that the large pack falls short of its EPA estimate by 10% but it’s something like 18% for the max? They are the same dual motor vehicle driven an almost identical loop. Are the EPA parametrs (correction factors) different for the max? Or is the last part of the test wherein the max pack vehicle drives without the large pack the culprit?

That would not explain why the dual motor max pack needs higher average efficiency than the dual motor large pack given @OutofSpecKyle capacity results for the respective packs (EPA range divided by OutOfSpecs capacity estimate). There is no way that can be the case and it was demonstrated in the test that the efficiencies are essentially identical.

what am I missing?
For the highway tests, yes. But for the EPA rating which is city/highway combined, presumably they have a more efficient rear inverter coupled with the allowed EPA fudge factor.

What you are missing is Rivian doing whatever they can to call what they gave us a "max" pack. So I would reluctantly agree they met the letter but fell way short on the spirit. Especially when you consider the cost. It's a dick move whatever way you slice it.

Edit: Oh, but yeah, I'm still totally buying it.
Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
@DuoRivians any progress since locking your configuration? I just logged into my account, as I do a few times each day, and I no longer have access to the Shop, which usual means the ‘prepare for delivery’ email is about to be sent.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Is this different than destination fee and can either be waved with factory pickup?
Yes, the destination fee is $1,800 IIRC. Instead of home delivery just tell them you want to take delivery at the service center. You still have to pay destination but you won't have to pay an extra fee for home delivery.

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
I've been reading a lot of the healthy and fair criticisms of the value (or lack thereof) for the Max Pack. In the end, last week I still chose to purchase a shop R1S Max Pack (21" wheels for 400mi range) and take delivery soon.

I wanted to add my voice because I think I'm a new type of buyer that didn't exist as much for Rivian previously. It seems to me that many of the current Rivian owners and voices here are not frequent and far road trip takers. And, even those that are seem to have resigned to the poor state of non-Tesla EV charging (i.e., many Rivian owner's view of EV road tripping is based on a low expectation).

My first EV was in 2017 with the Model S 90D (~ 294mi range stated; ~ 270 to 280mi range real world). Then, in 2021 I switched to a Model Y Performance (~290mi range stated; ~ 250mi range real world on a good day). I road trip a lot. I've ran out of juice once 20' from a Supercharger and had to push the car to it. Even with a lot more Superchargers today than in 2017, I can't tell you how many times if I had just 30 to 50 more miles I could get to that hotel (and charge overnight) or that next Supercharger with way better food options. Or when I go to EV charging deserts like Destin, FL area and in order to get out of it on the way home I had to drive 40 minutes out of my way because that was the only way to get to the next nearest Supercharger north.

When you have access to the full Supercharger network you aren't "locked" into going to the one good or known operational charger on the way and then just dealing with whatever the wait is there. You have your pick of many Superchargers along the route, at your discretion. You want to pick this one because it has facilities, or that one because it's V3 and will be only 17min of charging instead of 35min of charging on a V2. There's nothing worse than being in your fancy EV that you're proud of and your whole family is loudly complaining about the terrible charging location you had to stop at. Or your wife is asking why we're going 55mph because you're trying to stretch it to the next supercharger.

As soon as Rivians got access to the Supercharger network, BOOM! I'm here! Traded in the Y and I'm super pumped to get my R1s. That "guaranteed" near 350mi range is the sweet spot and absolutely makes all the difference in the world when it comes to an EV road trip with freedom around which charging spot you pick or making it to that overnight hotel. Trust me.

I understand it's not for everyone. But I think Rivian has something with courting new customers that will be coming over now that Rivian has access to the Supercharger network.
Sponsored