Looks like there will be many options.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60

Interesting tid bits in this video about the 180 tailgate not being standard. Other options appear to include the headliner and bed lights.

What we are finding out is that show truck has many add ons that are not standard. Makes me very curious what exactly is included and what’s gonna nickel and dime us.

Curious what folks think about this.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
After watching this video, and having spoken directly with Brian (the Rivian employee in the video), I believe these "options" will be tied to the size of the battery i.e. the 180Kwh will have all of the options shown. Brian eluded to that when he said they wanted to add value when you buy the bigger batteries (~9:25 mark in the video).

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I believe these "options" will be tied to the size of the battery i.e. the 180Kwh will have all of the options shown.
Based on what I've read in forums and the specs for the 135 kWh it IMO seems to be the popular model people will order. No surprise there with it being the middle choice, right? But if Rivian packages more features / options standard with each larger battery pack versus going with an ala carte configuration, then I can see people "possibly" leaning from the 135 kWh toward the 180 kWh. Probably the same for folks targeting the 105 shifting to the 135. Of course a major influence to this will be the price levels for each battery pack and then how Rivian prices the options.

In general it seems people, including myself at times, tend to prefer options to be standard / included in a "packaged" model. Its as if there's a perception those standard options are free or at a reduced price level. And that may be true to a degree (think ABS) depending on the base (no options) price. It's certainly a much simpler ordering method for both the manufacturer and the consumer (less choices - easier decision making). But in recent years I've preferred the ala carte style of ordering because mainly I've come to know better what I want and don't want. So if I feel the base price is a fair rock bottom price, then I have no problem paying for the options I want to include. The question here is, do we have enough information to say the two "starting" prices Rivian has stated to be fair rock bottom prices for an ala carte options ordering menu?

There's a certain "green" element to Rivian and they may apply that to their ordering method. Meaning, the ala carte ordering method allows customers to purchase the features they want and for Rivian to not "waste" the time and resources on options included in a model package the customer will never use. Perhaps Rivian will offer up both package and ala carte ordering methods or some combination of both?

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
My fear is that the base model price is already at the tippy top of my price range. But I want a Rivian. So options scare me a little.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

My fear is that the base model price is already at the tippy top of my price range. But I want a Rivian. So options scare me a little.
Likewise, but I am going on a ramen and peanut butter diet for the next 20 months...I also just sold my 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X and pocketed over $20k, and bought a 2016 Chevy Spark EV for $10k, to begin my EV life and have a super cheap car payment...trying to pad the bank account to help with the down payment!

Sponsored

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
Likewise, but I am going on a ramen and peanut butter diet for the next 20 months...I also just sold my 2017 Nissan Titan Pro-4X and pocketed over $20k, and bought a 2016 Chevy Spark EV for $10k, to begin my EV life and have a super cheap car payment...trying to pad the bank account to help with the down payment!
Good thinking. My rationalization is similar, I'm going to actually pay off a car for once, instead of trading in, over the next 1.5-2 years, at which point I may sell to help pay for Rivian. I'm trying to decide how silly this will be.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
bought a 2016 Chevy Spark EV for $10k, to begin my EV life and have a super cheap car payment...trying to pad the bank account to help with the down payment
Yep, I'm hoping to deploy a similar strategy. Good luck with your Spark! The challenge for me though it's been nearly 25 yrs since I've owned something other than an SUV. Plus it seems like most of the "inexpensive" EVs available today look like an over-sized go-cart which plays a mind game with me ... like they're less safe to drive ... and a vehicle safety ratings are very high on my vehicle to-be checklist. Admittedly, and in all fairness, I have not looked at the safety ratings for these inexpensive EVs, I suspect mostly because no particular design has caught me eye yet (again, the inexpensive ones) and/or I just simply don't see myself driving it. It's going to take some convincing myself to go this route - e.g. it will be "hopefully" for only a couple years until "my" Rivian is ready to roll off the assembly line. :headbang: But I know so many things can mess with that time line (potential (likely?) delays in Rivian roll out, personal funding, other EVs enter the market, etc)
Sponsored