• ā›”ļø EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ā›”ļø 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
  • RIVIANFORUMS CLUBS!

Announcing our new "CLUBS" section where you can join or create a Rivian club or group! You can use this new feature to conveniently plan and discuss local events, gatherings or other club/group related topics.

So we encourage you to join (or start) special-interest and regional-based Rivian clubs at: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/group-categories/clubs-groups.1/

Sponsored

Looking to buy a R1S

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Oh bless your heart.

You basically jumped into the forum and asked a BUNCH of questions that are readily answered if you spent a modicum of time doing some background reading. And, you presented it with this sense of urgency forgetting that even if you put a (fully refundable) deposit down you would likely have a couple years to learn answer to these (again) incredibly common questions.

This is a GREAT community with really helpful people. People take a lot of time out of their lives to provide information, even going so far as to meet other forum members and let them drive their trucks. But your post came of super entitled and lazy, IMHO. But, to me, it's a give and take. We are not Rivian customer service (clearly because we know more than they do most of the time), and don't exist to answer questions for folks who can't be bothered to do some work on their own.

And, yes I could just ignore it, but I'm salty this morning and after seeing your reply here I chose to respond.
This reply should be gilded and etched in (lime)stone. Bravo.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sdugan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW and GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
Thank you! I didnā€™t look for the R1T so thatā€™s why it was a little confusing15th

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Don't know if this one is worth staying open since it's tempting to pile on OP. Unless of course after reivewing some of the lengthy threads OP has more specific questions.

OP
OP

Sdugan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW and GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks Attesanā€¦Iā€™ll delete, just have to figure out how

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sdugan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW and GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
No, this will be their first one.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No, this will be their first one.
Makes sense, I'd probably check out some basics on EVs on YouTube either first or after you spend a bit of time looking through the threads here. Some of the threads here use literally use the same keywords you did in your original post. The R1T and R1S are similar enough that you can use any feedback you get on the R1T to answer your questions.

Also some of your questions are personal preference:
Dual-motor vs quad-motor. I donā€˜t intend to do any off roading, I just need AWD for the NJ winters. Is it worth the $6000 for the quad?
Few need 4 motors. The most common EVs on the road today with AWD have 2.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hi Everyone,
Iā€™m looking to pull the trigger and sign up for the RS1. I wanted to see if some owners can answer some question. Note the R1S has not been issued yet, coming soon. Below are short responses based on R1T, which has only been issued to consumers on limited production the past 4 months.
- I live in NJ and havenā€™t even test drove a car yet. I did sign up for e-mails To let me know they are in my area. First Mile test drives have been made available to early deposit holders in certain regions. You'll have to check what if any Rivian Service Centers ("RSC") are in Jersey area, or others will chime in.
- What service is there? Has anyone experienced any issues? If they need to take your car do they supply a loaner? Regional RSC's and Rivian mobile techs will handle service needs. Thus far, service needs have included software glitches/updates, a few paint and panel issues (silver paint tiger striping), and at least two reported critical battery failures. An advantage is that Rivian has already issued several over the air ("OTA") software updates that address improvements and glitches. There have been no Rivian loaners (perhaps one or two exceptions) given shortage of available vehicles, others have been offered ICE loaners or Uber credits.
- Charging, does Rivian offer free charging? Can you supercharge the car? If you were traveling and needed say 100 miles to get home, how long would that take? As a nascent startup, Rivian's charging network is being developed and only has a few existing centers. It will take time. You can fast charge at specific Level 3 third-party charging centers, a 100 mile top off has ranged from 15-30 minutes depending upon charger capacity and general conditions. Suggest searching the site for more specifics on charging curves and charging stations.
- Dual-motor vs quad-motor. I donā€˜t intend to do any off roading, I just need AWD for the NJ winters. Is it worth the $6000 for the quad? You should be more than fine with the dual motor AWD, but the quad is exceptionally capable and a unique advantage to Rivian.
- I like the captain seats and have seen people talk about them, has anyone seen this option or are they close? Captains seats are not available as of now, but many have asked for that as a future option in the R1S. TBD.
- Trade-in, did Rivian do a trade-in and was it a fair price? In general, some have been pleased with trade in values, others not so much. Any trade in will likely be below what you could sell a car for as a private party, especially in this supply constrained market.
- Range, is it pretty accurate? Does anything affect it? It is accurate, especially after recent OTA updates. All EV's range will be negatively impacted by cold temps, elevation gains, headwinds, towing loads, heavy right foot, and heavier wheel/tire combinations.
- If I go to the airport and plug in the car and I am gone for week, does it do any damage since it is plugged in for so long? No, as you can generally program certain chargers within certain state of charge. Some might be concerned with leaving an EV plugged in indoors unmonitored - YMMV.
- How is Rivianā€™s charging fleet? Do they have a lot? To my knowledge, which is limited at best, there is no Rivian charging fleet but perhaps their mobile service vehicles would do so under certain circumstances.
Any other advice? I know I can ask the Rivian rep some of these question but I wanted owners opinions. This forum is perhaps more knowledgeable than most others with regards to all things Rivian. Only a few of us have had their Rivian's delivered and in use, so keep in mind we are all needing to be patient and we can get salty waiting. Hang in there. Good luck with your search, but as others have suggested, get your refundable deposit in now to get in line. You can always cancel.
Thanks
Sean
Generally, I'm the salty cynic, but today am feeling nice. Above are attempted responses in blue, many of which will be inaccurate since I don't own a Rivian yet. Suggest using the search function here to dig deeper. Note there is also an R1T Owner's Manual posted in the stickies. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sdugan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW and GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks Moosehead

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This entire thread should be in the Rivian for sale/WtB section. @Administrator, can this be moved to there, please?
No. OP was floating the idea of placing a pre-order, not buying someone elses.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
YaMa, if you donā€™t like it you donā€™t need to respond. Also, I transposed the letters and number and didnā€˜t realize it until it was pointed out so relax!!!!
People are pretty grumpy around here because some of them have literally been waiting 4 years for their car and endured multiple delays. Also, it's an Internet forum so you get all the various personalities from helpful to resentful and the downright "I heard it first" crowd.

That said - you will find most of the available answers by searching the forum sections and or asking 1-2 questions in a thread instead of ALL your questions.

But most importantly, nobody here has taken delivery or driven and R1S yet so those kinds of specific impressions you won't find. Rivian hasn't delivered them.

OP
OP

Sdugan

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW and GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks ironpig