Lightning Owner with R1S on order

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm always up for an education. Thanks. Still cruising the forum and trying to decide on my next car. At this point I'm thinking seriously about a Grenadier!
I appreciate the appeal of the Grenadier, but the way we see it is that since we are fortunate enough to have the resources to buy whatever vehicle we want (within reason) we feel compelled to use our vehicle purchases to support companies and products that are accelerating clean vehicle technologies. We also have a strong preference to support US manufacturing where we are able. Jim Ratcliffe's hobby/labor of love/obsession to bring back the old-school Rover concept - as cool as it is - does not fit our criteria. But your money, your choice! (I do, however, wish that Rivian would offer some of the same colors as Ineos. I am partial to the Scottish white and the Mushroom.)
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I appreciate the appeal of the Grenadier, but the way we see it is that since we are fortunate enough to have the resources to buy whatever vehicle we want (within reason) we feel compelled to use our vehicle purchases to support companies and products that are accelerating clean vehicle technologies. We also have a strong preference to support US manufacturing where we are able. Jim Ratcliffe's hobby/labor of love/obsession to bring back the old-school Rover concept - as cool as it is - does not fit our criteria. But your money, your choice! (I do, however, wish that Rivian would offer some of the same colors as Ineos. I am partial to the Scottish white and the Mushroom.)
Understood. I have tried electric. Love the simplicity and the torque. Hate the limitations. Yes, charging options are coming, but what about hooking up a boat and going to Port Mansfield? You won't make it there in the first place, and if you did get there, there is no place to charge within 50 miles, including Tesla spots. Before the Lightning, I towed about 2,000 miles a year on average (boats, horse trailers, flatbeds for projects). Now it's a non-starter.

As far as what defines clean, we might have different opinions. I do support the push towards renewables though, once we can generate and store the energy needed to support the grid. Right now, if the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining in Texas, we are on 100% fossil fuels, plus a nuke here and there. So everything "green" built today is redundant.

There was a bit of a carbon footprint to getting all those redundant alt energy devices built, shipped and in place. Does that equal or exceed the reduced carbon footprint from the fossil fuel energy displaced? I don't know. I do know that for now electric cars run predominantly on energy produced by fossil fuels. The solar on my roof doesn't even keep up with the A/C's, much less charge my truck.

Sorry for the rant. You may have considered everything I said already and reached a different conclusion than me. Not trying to change you or call you dumb. I am glad you like supporting innovation towards electric vehicles. I have done so myself. I think it's a great platform. It's just that, unless you want to live with the limitations, it's not there yet--except as a local cummuter car. If you park in your garage every night like I usually do, the limitations are gone, and the benefits are numerous. So for my wife and me, probably one electric and one ICE for the foreseeable future. Maybe a Grenadier and a Polestar! (Oops--not USA made!)

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I just drove a lightning I ordered and I was surprised at how much I liked it, however I took some of the sales team for a drive in the R1S and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. Here are some of the comments. “I can’t believe the quality of materials, this interior is luxurious, the fit and finish is so good, this color is awesome, that range is great customers for the lightning aren’t reporting as good of results, this accleration is wild so much fun, did you just pull a speaker out of there, sold how much is the deposit.”

I turned down the lightning but it was a great vehicle.

That range is achievable w or wo conserve. I don’t have as many miles on the R1S as the R1T but even in cold weather that’s doable on 21s. R1S has 22s and it’s been spot on 3-5% decrease on a 1 hr Highway commute. As you’ve said depends a bunch of variables. Good luck with your decision.

edit: forgot to add early preorders can’t switch between the different motor options unless you were a max pack config and can’t get the quads max
Sponsored