Sponsored

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

Hey there - long time lurker but have only posted a couple of times. Not much credibility built up here, but I've driven the R1T about 400 miles in the 3 days since I've gotten it, and I've got some first impressions. This is my second EV - I first got a Model Y Performance in March of this year, so that's my comparison point for anything EV related. I've driven a truck for most of my life, most recently my 2016 Ram Rebel I still own. Also, as part of my "credentials" I suppose, I've tracked various cars in the past. I had a supercharged 600 whp 2006 GTO built for the roadcorse with my own two hands (you name it, I probably replaced it). So I know my way around an LS car at least.

First thing that I don't see addressed much in reviews - I think this feels and drives like a truck. A good truck, but still a truck. So many people say it drives like a sports car and have the credentials to prove it, and I don't think that at all. The Y performance is more closely related to a sports car in terms of feeling of connectedness to the road, and certainly seems faster despite on paper that maybe not being the case. Neither have the steering feel of a sports car. My Y build quality was surprisingly perfect despite all the complaints I've read about over the years, with not a single issue that I've needed to bring up. The Y motors are also much quieter (for better or worse), and honestly it's an easier step from ICE to EV since it has driver features like rolling start and milder regen. The Y is also bigger feeling inside which honestly surprised me. I'm a big athletic guy at 6"3' 300lbs, my wife is 5"10' and we have a 2.5 year old who's a monster with another on the way, and getting into the R1T is certainly a more "tight" feel. Probably due to the Tesla's minimalist design, which I'm not a fan of. The car seat we have also makes it so the passenger seat needs to be moved up forward enough to where my wife's knees are touching the front. Not great, and a non issue in the Y. We have the R1S on order as well to replace the Y, but honestly we've got to think now on if that's the best choice.

That being said, I've fully quenched the Rivian juice and love the truck. The interior quality is just... amazing. My wife literally said the first time we sat in it "This makes the Tesla look like a potato" lol. The look of limestone had me concerned (I even tried to change it to El Cap but the truck was already built by the time I thought about doing it) but I absolutely love it and I am glad I didn't get a chance to change it. I love the sound of the motors as they spool up, I love the comfort of the ride, I love the fact that I don't have to worry about damaging the front bumper because it's so low, I love the fact that it has tons of storage (although cabin storage leaves a bit to be desired - I love my Ram cabin configuration for storage a whole lot more), I love the speed, the range is fine (so far... road trip coming soon which may change my perspective). I love the way the car illuminates the road at night, and the interior lighting. I love the look, I love the materials used on the truck. I like the UI quite a bit too, although Rivian does have some catching up to do.

Overall, I'm very bullish on Rivian. I'm obsessed with the brand, am heavily invested into them as a company, and am just very excited for them. Does my truck have build quality issues? Yes, I've got random rattles in the dash and stitching issues in the interior that are very minor, it definitely needs an alignment and/or wheels balanced, and the tonneau cover isn't terribly far from failure already. Do I have to wait 3 more weeks just for the racks? Sure, yes, that's annoying too. Does it have more build quality issues than my Tesla did? Yep. But this all comes with the territory of building not just a first gen vehicle, but a first vehicle that the company has put out to market. There's no way Rivian makes money on these (even at updated pricing), so I feel lucky.

Just had it detailed too... I sure do love the look of a clean car.

Rivian R1T R1S Just got my Limestone / Forest Edge R1T, first impressions. PXL_20220926_221739002

Rivian R1T R1S Just got my Limestone / Forest Edge R1T, first impressions. 1664246173244-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Congrats! That’s one of my favorite combinations.

That photo sure doesn’t look like Limestone.

OP
OP

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Congrats! That’s one of my favorite combinations.

That photo sure doesn’t look like Limestone.
“No one knows what it means color it is, but it’s provocative! It gets the people GOIN’!!!”
Sponsored