Sponsored

Is active noise cancellation still on the table?

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
It might make a tire/wheel selection difference for me.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Haven't seen confirmation, but I would assume so. It's fairly standard in vehicles at this price point, and with how little noise EVs make, I would think ANC would be used to improve cabin experience.

Rivian has said they would share performance metrics -- including cabin noise levels related to tire choice -- soon.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I know they market "cabin correction", but I believe that's just tuning the system to the specific acoustics of the cabin.

Rivian has focused on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) & benchmarked against some great vehicles, so I'm hoping cabin noise won't be significant.

Meridian is excellent with DSP though, and there will be microphone(s)...maybe ANC is a possibility.

However, I plan to use ASV (active stereo volume) to eliminate any outside noise.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
However, I plan to use ASV (active stereo volume) to eliminate any outside noise.
Is this the same thing as put in Metallica and turn it up to 11? If so...I'm gonna do the same thing!

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I know they market "cabin correction", but I believe that's just tuning the system to the specific acoustics of the cabin.

Rivian has focused on NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) & benchmarked against some great vehicles, so I'm hoping cabin noise won't be significant.

Meridian is excellent with DSP though, and there will be microphone(s)...maybe ANC is a possibility.

I hear ya' on that one! ?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I was in the vehicle while charging last night and couldn't help but notice white noise coming through the speakers. I did not find any way to turn it down or disable. I was not previously aware of any such noise.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I was in the vehicle while charging last night and couldn't help but notice white noise coming through the speakers. I did not find any way to turn it down or disable. I was not previously aware of any such noise.
The only time I have had that happen was when I left the ventilated seats on... Much louder than I thought they would be and confused me for a second. Maybe you had the same experience?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
The only time I have had that happen was when I left the ventilated seats on... Much louder than I thought they would be and confused me for a second. Maybe you had the same experience?
I had jeans on, I definitely had the seats cooling...now I will have to check and report back to see if that is actually what it was 🤔

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I keep thinking about what Rivian will include in a pay-to-upgrade software update. New driving modes makes sense. Active noise cancellation could too. I wonder if there are ways to make the ride extra smooth with the air suspension. CarPlay, browser, games, waze access. Lots of possibilities

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
The air seats are the loudest I've ever heard. Had those in my 2012 5 Series and they made virtually zero noise. The Rivian's sound like a gaming PC fans from 1998. But I don't hear them as much as I hear the wind noise blasting through my passenger door window. (have a ticket open about that one) Doubt anything can be done about our air seats.

Don't know if noise cancelling would help at all but I'd certainly like that feature.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I had jeans on, I definitely had the seats cooling...now I will have to check and report back to see if that is actually what it was 🤔
Confirmed...seat coolers!
Sponsored