Interesting manufacturing photo

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Check out this screenshot from the Rivian Twitter post. Cool how the step is moving along for paint, etc...

Rivian R1T R1S Interesting manufacturing photo 2021-02-19_13-18-53
Sponsored

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Check out this screenshot from the Rivian Twitter post. Cool how the step is moving along for paint, etc...

2021-02-19_13-18-53.png
I noticed you ordered the 20" AT tires. Any reason not to get them aftermarket? I currently have the 21" wheels on my order since I want the best for aerodynamics for a majority of my driving, but then I was going to purchase 20" or 18" (if they can fit) for off-roading.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I noticed you ordered the 20" AT tires. Any reason not to get them aftermarket? I currently have the 21" wheels on my order since I want the best for aerodynamics for a majority of my driving, but then I was going to purchase 20" or 18" (if they can fit) for off-roading.
The factory 20s are forged, which is good. I am a bit biased against the 21s because it's an oddball size & replacement tires will be both rare & expensive. I would recommend waiting to see what the EPA estimates are for each wheel/tire combo.

Personally, I'm getting the 20s & will likely swap to an All Season tire after the ATs wear out, which should help efficiency. There are also smaller tires available for 20" wheels (comparable to the 33" tire sizes on the 21" & 22" wheels) that I believe would rival the efficiency of the 21s.

And I also hope that 18s or even 17s might fit for offroad purposes!

OP
OP
tx_rivian

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Personally, i like the design of the 20" better and like skyote said, it will easier and cheaper to find 20" tires.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Nice to have some output confirming the June rollout along with the images. Looking forward to seeing all of the paint choices and interiors before finalizing the order. The news of where and when we can see, touch and drive these beauties will be really welcome news.

Regarding wheels and tires, I think you Texans have the right idea. I'm spooked by the unique nature and limited number (and cost?) of available replacements for the 21's. The aero/energy efficiency of the 21's sounds great, but they seem to compromise the other abilities that Rivian is building into the R1T and R1S. As skyote points out, other suitable and more affordable 20-inch All-Season, low rolling resistance replacements will likely abound. Plus, one could choose to go with just the 20's and simply swap the various tires, depending on need. That said, I'm not sure what shorter 20-inch performance tires might sacrifice over the 22-inch Pirellis. At least the lighter overall weight and smaller frontal profile and contact patch may positively impact mileage.

Also, as we now know, the fact that the 20's are forged is a huge plus for off-roading. I'm set to go with the 20's but would like to know the price of purchasing a full set of five 22's vs. five 20's at rollout. For around town or a long roadtrip with no foreseeable dirt time, the 22's just make sense to me for getting the most out of the road performance these vehicles promise.

I see that warmer weather is arriving in Texas and the surrounding states. I hope all of you came through the deep freeze intact and that life is starting to get back to normal down there.

Be well!

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I think that there are enough 21" and 22" tire choices out there. You will not struggle to find any size and a plethora of choices, so size is not an issue. Obviously they charge more for 21's and 22's because they're bigger.
The other issue, perhaps, is what size will fit in the box in the bed as a spare? Some states require that vehicles must have a spare. Not sure which one's, but when I asked Rivian about the cost of a spare, they said they are still working on it.
Are you gonna get a spare? I think I do.

OP
OP
tx_rivian

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Nice to have some output confirming the June rollout along with the images. Looking forward to seeing all of the paint choices and interiors before finalizing the order. The news of where and when we can see, touch and drive these beauties will be really welcome news.

Regarding wheels and tires, I think you Texans have the right idea. I'm spooked by the unique nature and limited number (and cost?) of available replacements for the 21's. The aero/energy efficiency of the 21's sounds great, but they seem to compromise the other abilities that Rivian is building into the R1T and R1S. As skyote points out, other suitable and more affordable 20-inch All-Season, low rolling resistance replacements will likely abound. Plus, one could choose to go with just the 20's and simply swap the various tires, depending on need. That said, I'm not sure what shorter 20-inch performance tires might sacrifice over the 22-inch Pirellis. At least the lighter overall weight and smaller frontal profile and contact patch may positively impact mileage.

Also, as we now know, the fact that the 20's are forged is a huge plus for off-roading. I'm set to go with the 20's but would like to know the price of purchasing a full set of five 22's vs. five 20's at rollout. For around town or a long roadtrip with no foreseeable dirt time, the 22's just make sense to me for getting the most out of the road performance these vehicles promise.

I see that warmer weather is arriving in Texas and the surrounding states. I hope all of you came through the deep freeze intact and that life is starting to get back to normal down there.

Be well!
Thanks, I'm thawed out and only a little wet from a burst pipe!

How are you all holding up @skyote ?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
How are you all holding up @skyote ?
Minimal damage to the house from a big limb that fell & a couple busted pipes in the barn. However, limbs down all over the place & spent literally half of Saturday & all day yesterday on the end of a chainsaw. My watch said I had over 350 mins of intense excercise yesterday, lol.

Can't say how much I love that the sun & warmer temps are back though!

OP
OP
tx_rivian

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Minimal damage to the house from a big limb that fell & a couple busted pipes in the barn. However, limbs down all over the place & spent literally half of Saturday & all day yesterday on the end of a chainsaw. My watch said I had over 350 mins of intense excercise yesterday, lol.

Ah man! Sorry to hear about that. That's some serious exercise!

We had one insulated pipe bust in the attic, but luckily I heard it happen and was able to minimize the damage. I ordered parts from Missouri to repair it since no one around here has parts any longer.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Ah man! Sorry to hear about that. That's some serious exercise!

We had one insulated pipe bust in the attic, but luckily I heard it happen and was able to minimize the damage. I ordered parts from Missouri to repair it since no one around here has parts any longer.
tx_rivian, Good to hear you caught the pipe burst early! For any damage you, skyote, or others do have, make sure to take pics and document all expenses and needed emergency repairs if you think it's going to result in a claim. It's those sneaky water losses and potential for mold you need to catch early. The more proof you have that it resulted from a sudden and accidental event, the greater the likelihood of having it covered. The same goes for roofs, outbuildings, fences, and trees/shrubs. Check your policy(ies) carefully.

As I'm guessing you'll remember, Texas had huge problems with mold claims a few decades ago relating to cracks in concrete slabs letting moisture into the floors. Many carriers denied the resulting mold claims. That fiasco resulted in changes to your Insurance Code. As for this recent freeze/snow/ice event, every carrier has a Catastrophe Claims Teams there or on their way. I'm sure you're all on top of it, but I'd just hate to see you miss something now and have it bite you in the a$$ later.

If they give you any grief, tell them your friend in Austin has a chainsaw and he knows how to use it!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

skyote, If you were wearing your Fitbit for 6 hours of chainsawing, I'm guessing it's telling you you're good until mid-March. I went all Insurance-Geek in my note above to tx_rivian, so I won't repeat all of my unsolicited advice again. Just hope you found all the damage. With insurance, you won't likely get what you don't ask for (or support).

Good to hear you guys made it through this last week!
Sponsored