Sponsored

Improved Efficiency through software?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
So this is just anecdotal at this point, but thought it was enough worth starting a discussion around. I've noticed a material increase in daily driving efficiency in AP since the August update.

As I alluded to, I don't have any hard before & after hard stats to cite, but I'm a) definitely seeing numbers on the rolling 15 minute graph on the same routine routes under similar conditions that are catching my attention, b) my since inception tripmeter efficiency is increasing ever so slightly and my entire ownership has been in the summer with temps 90-100 degrees with no changes to mode used or other behaviors of note, and finally c) the VP of Software alluded to this being the case in their recent comment on continued improvements to vampire drain.
Rivian R1T R1S Improved Efficiency through software? 1661531226660

My hypothesis is that the work they are doing on drain in general is not just affective overnight sleep state, it's also impacting power loads at all times/when driving. For one instance, the HVAC behavior certainly seems to be less power hungry now than in prior months, that's for sure (compressor activity, fan speeds/noise). It's pretty difficult to prove/quantify without repeating drives in exactly the same conditions and comparing data, so again why it's just anecdotal observation, mixed in with comments from that guy and logically thinking about what we do know they are doing on vampire drain (which by the way for me seems to have now settled at 0.5% per 24 hours btw).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed the same.
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I haven't been able to measure any range difference but I'm sure better range is a byproduct of them addressing the vampire drain and other optimizations.

I bet as they get more data from drivers and their testing, they could find ways to optimize. For example, the cooling system or the fans not needing to run full blast all the time could save on energy therefore increasing range. Maybe they are on the more conservative side right now and as they do more testing they will be able to better know what the safe limits are for cooling. I live in hot climate and the fans are always 100% all the time. Vehicle sound even louder than my previous ICE truck.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I am jealous of your improved vampire drain @DJG . I’m still seeing approximately 2% in 24 hours and it seems consistent. I have heard others report similar numbers to both of us. I wonder what explains that difference.

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I am jealous of your improved vampire drain @DJG . I’m still seeing approximately 2% in 24 hours and it seems consistent. I have heard others report similar numbers to both of us. I wonder what explains that difference.
Well for one, it's clear that there is not a defined level of what it "should" be, given the varying experiences and even Rivian's comments about it (never saying specifically what it should be). When they've commented on it (specifically the software guy on Reddit), he'll call out when someone is seeing something beyond "the range of what we're seeing in the fleet", which is typically when someone is reporting 3%+. I also don't even think that for a specific vehicle, the drain is necessarily equal on a day to day basis.

Some anecdotal things I've noticed more recently, in the last few weeks:

- way less fan noise and occurrence of them running
- I did an overnight trip on Saturday, returning back early afternoon yesterday. After a few hours, I went out to the truck to set the charge timer, and for the first time ever, it took a solid 4-5 seconds for the screens and music to power on, a much deeper sleep state than I've ever seen. It made me wonder if they are adding logic that tries to recognize that you've just gone on a trip, arrived home on Sunday afternoon at a lower SoC (think I was around 25%) and it's probably ok to take a deep slumber in those conditions.

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I haven't been able to measure any range difference but I'm sure better range is a byproduct of them addressing the vampire drain and other optimizations.

I bet as they get more data from drivers and their testing, they could find ways to optimize. For example, the cooling system or the fans not needing to run full blast all the time could save on energy therefore increasing range. Maybe they are on the more conservative side right now and as they do more testing they will be able to better know what the safe limits are for cooling. I live in hot climate and the fans are always 100% all the time. Vehicle sound even louder than my previous ICE truck.
My fans run about 10% as much as they used to and at full bore for way less time. It's a huge improvement.

I just did a 170 mi round trip in AP and logged 2.2m/k there and 2.4 back. It's a trip I've done 4 times this summer, and that's probably 5% improved efficiency from what I've typically seen. Not enough to say its definitely improved, but conditions also haven't been markedly different (TX summers are very consistently hot with little wind).
Sponsored