Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

thanks for the response. I am reading the Enphase system descriptions but can’t tell if it can handle rapid swings in delivery without storage. Like Blueassasin suggested a cloud of some other sudden change would be difficult for a system to handle I imagine. If the charger stops the draw or the solar delivery spikes, how would the controller dispose of the excess wattage? Perhaps I am resolved to some level of batter capacity.
For disruptions in solar energy capture, yes, you would need an additional source to offset the diminished output from the solar array.

Two options, that are roughly the same price, but come at a cost:
  • Upsize your solar array to accommodate the potential losses from conditions that block total sunlight (weather)
    • Requires a much larger array installation area
    • More equipment = more cost
  • Add energy storage to supplement the diminished output
    • Depending on the energy system ecosystem, batteries can be expensive
    • May require additional hardware such as transfer switches or logical controllers
At this time, there aren't any Solar DC > DC EVSE charging implementations as of yet. In fact, the only residential DC chargers that I've seen, that is even palatable from a cost perspective are the Delta 25kW DC Wallbox roughly ($10k) and the newly revealed Wattsaving DC 20kW which I anticipate to also be around $8-10k.

Most other residential solar installations will be doing some DC > AC conversions somewhere along the line. Product that offer a central inverter with dedicated EVSE (Solar Edge) takes DC energy right from the array and converts to AC and directly outputs to an EVSE cable. No separate dispenser required.

You could go full DIY and build a Victron or EG4 system, integrating solar charge controllers, BMS, and using either EG4 or SOK 48V batteries. I recently assembled a similar system for a friend who lives on a mountain, has public power, but is typically faced with outages. An 18kW PV array, a massive 50kW storage bank and a propane Kohler 20kW generator to power the loads and recharge batteries. His entire setup cost less (retail cost) than my 12kW PV + 20kW storage Enphase system.
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

@connoisseurr - any word on the Enphase installer front as to the BiDi EVSE hitting the market?
I'm hearing Q4, and they're pushing for early October, however I've been seeing more and more mentioning of the bidirectional charger within the Enphase University training modules, which leads me to believe it's more ready than I thought. As soon as I see a dedicated training program for it in the portal, I know we're about 30-60 days out.

OP
OP
Glongo

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
  • Upsize your solar array to accommodate the potential losses from conditions that block total sunlight (weather)
You and Revelation came at it from different perspectives, but it looks like i need to increase my panel capacity a minimum. And based on the DC to DC charger potential costs, battery storage is in the mix too.

Thanks

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

You and Revelation came at it from different perspectives, but it looks like i need to increase my panel capacity a minimum. And based on the DC to DC charger potential costs, battery storage is in the mix too.

Thanks
You bet. I love chatting solar, so if you ever have any questions or want to throw around ideas, holler any time.

Revelation is spot on regarding panel selection, however. It's the most impactful component of the system and ensure you get something that will perform to exactly what you're looking for. I always try to use a higher efficiency panel where possible and from a manufacturer that has a painless warranty process (usually REC and Hanwha Q cells). There also so many new products hitting the market reaching higher and higher outputs and efficiencies. The latest from NREL discusses a near 40% efficient panel being developed. Should something like that hit the market, it will change solar adoption dramatically.

OP
OP
Glongo

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
I always try to use a higher efficiency panel where possible and from a manufacturer that has a painless warranty process (usually REC and Hanwha Q cells). There also so many new products hitting the market reaching higher and higher outputs and efficiencies. The latest from NREL discusses a near 40% efficient panel being developed. Should something like that hit the market, it will change solar adoption dramatically.
Thanks for this too. I am surprised how little engagement there is with customers and installers with respect to the panel manufacturer. Most people I talk to know how many panels they purchased, sometimes the wattage, rarely the manufacturer, and never the efficiency.

Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks for this too. I am surprised how little engagement there is with customers and installers with respect to the panel manufacturer. Most people I talk to know how many panels they purchased, sometimes the wattage, rarely the manufacturer, and never the efficiency.
Exactly, and that's why I wanted to get into the solar industry. Many solar sales companies out there picking the cheapest semi-reliable panel they can get their hands on, and charging the same rate as what you could get a premium 400w+ and >20% efficient panel.

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
For disruptions in solar energy capture, yes, you would need an additional source to offset the diminished output from the solar array.

Two options, that are roughly the same price, but come at a cost:
  • Add energy storage to supplement the diminished output
    • Depending on the energy system ecosystem, batteries can be expensive
    • May require additional hardware such as transfer switches or logical controllers
At this time, there aren't any Solar DC > DC EVSE charging implementations as of yet. In fact, the only residential DC chargers that I've seen, that is even palatable from a cost perspective are the Delta 25kW DC Wallbox roughly ($10k) and the newly revealed Wattsaving DC 20kW which I anticipate to also be around $8-10k.

Most other residential solar installations will be doing some DC > AC conversions somewhere along the line. Product that offer a central inverter with dedicated EVSE (Solar Edge) takes DC energy right from the array and converts to AC and directly outputs to an EVSE cable. No separate dispenser required.

You could go full DIY and build a Victron or EG4 system, integrating solar charge controllers, BMS, and using either EG4 or SOK 48V batteries. I recently assembled a similar system for a friend who lives on a mountain, has public power, but is typically faced with outages. An 18kW PV array, a massive 50kW storage bank and a propane Kohler 20kW generator to power the loads and recharge batteries. His entire setup cost less (retail cost) than my 12kW PV + 20kW storage Enphase system.
Check out Solar Edge, prefer it over Enphase. Have not installed this EV solution, but may meet most of your requirements: Drive on sunshine with the SolarEdge Home EV Charger | SolarEdge US

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Check out Solar Edge, prefer it over Enphase. Have not installed this EV solution, but may meet most of your requirements: Drive on sunshine with the SolarEdge Home EV Charger | SolarEdge US
I won’t consider Solar Edge personally, but maybe the OP will. I dislike having the central inverter as a single point of failure. Now, depending on the array size, you may need more than one central inverter which helps decrease that single point of failure issue. Central inverters do have a slightly higher failure rate compared to microinverter systems, and should be replace every 10 years to maintain efficiency. Don’t need to worry about that with micros.

While this is a single case, I’ve got a mate in our local Tesla group that’s had his solar edge inverter replaced every summer. The thing just dies and no one understands why. He’s had visits from 3 different solar edge engineers and installers, and all they recommend is to just keep replacing the inverter.

That EV charger you linked is a 40A unit, which is still a bummer. They’re totally capable of offering a competitive 48A unit but seems to be keeping them at 40A or below to be compatible with a single inverter system.
Sponsored