First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think that a thicker stronger cord is better. Tesla EVSE is cheaper though.
Thicker isn’t always better 😝 It’s very bulky, hard to maneuver, and if outside in cold it’ll stiffen up more. Curling it up to wrap around the charger when putting it up is nearly impossible.

My son could handle our Tesla cord fine but the Rivian one is so massive (between the CCS connector size and cable bulkiness)
Sponsored

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You can install any charger capable of 48 amps and you will get max charge rate. As someone else pointed out they are technically EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) as the actual charger is onboard the truck. Most here... Myself included though... still refer to them as chargers even though its not the correct term.

I have the Tesla wall connector. I have two and i chose them for two reasons:

1) I already had an existing Tesla charger
2) I wanted to do power share between the two. They share 60 amps total power.

So the Rivian charger is fine but some of us choose other options because they have features or functionality that we're looking for specifically.
+1. So many choices for whatever flexibility and initial conditions you might have. We already had a 14-50 put in long ago for a EV that we were using with a tesla portable charger. Getting a clippercreek dual charger to plug into that 14-50 meant that we could plug in either or both cars whenever we want without any planning, coordination, or additional electrical work. Both EVs need a charge for tomorrow fine.