First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Acura RDX, Rivian R1S(almost)
Occupation
semi-retired
I spoke to a Amazon delivery driver recently when he arrived with a package but not driving the Rivian van. I joked that he must not be doing something right to not get the EV. He replied that he did not like the electric as it did not have enough range so he found he was turning off the heat in order to save range. The sliding partition door kept opening a closing while he was driving until he became frustrated and kicked it, causing it to freeze. Looks like they need to do a little more development with it as well.
Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But, the cost would be pretty high by the time you did one. Just the added batteries alone would probably be around $50,000.
Not sure how much extra battery you are thinking but $50,000/200kwh= $250kw which still seems high.
I believe cost is approximately $130/kw.

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Well, Rivian is charging $10,000 to go from a "large" battery pack to the "max" battery pack which is 14 kWh larger. This calculates to Rivian charging $714.29 per kWh. Generally though, most are charging in the $250 to $500 range.
Ford is 98kWh for standard and 130 kWh (I believe) for the extended range, also for $10,000, which is $312.50 per kWh.
Tesla, apparently uses around a 60 kWh battery in the RWD version of the Model 3 and a 75 kWh battery in the AWD version. The upgrade cost is $8,000 for 15 more kWh, equal $533.33 per kWh.

So, my $250 estimate was on the conservative side. They'd have to lean that way to keep the price somewhere in reason. Thinking on it more, they'd probably expect at least $300 per kWh.

Their cost and our price are certainly not the same. I know Elon has been trying to get the cost down to a magic number of $100 per kWh, but again, that's their cost, not their price to the consumer.
Sponsored