Gap on Passenger A-Pillar Interior Liner

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've noticed that the interior liner on the passenger side A-pillar is revealing body-colored framing between the liner and the windshield. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I see it every time I look at the A pillar (sort of a "can't unsee once seen" things).

I've decided to add it to my service ticket, though I'm not sure what Rivian is going to be able to about it (except make the issue worse). There appears to be some sealant squeeze-out as well

Anyone experience the same issue? Pics below for context:

Rivian R1T R1S Gap on Passenger A-Pillar Interior Liner IMG_1915

Rivian R1T R1S Gap on Passenger A-Pillar Interior Liner IMG_1914
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Did you ever have your windshield replaced?
(I had access glue from the windshield replacement that needed to be cut off for the trim to fit better)

Have you ever been in for service previously?
(There's a recall where they take this pillar off to fix some clips related to the airbag and they do this without telling you ahead of time. It should be on the work order though. Maybe they didn't clip everything all the way back)

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Did you ever have your windshield replaced?
(I had access glue from the windshield replacement that needed to be cut off for the trim to fit better)

Have you ever been in for service previously?
(There's a recall where they take this pillar off to fix some clips related to the airbag and they do this without telling you ahead of time. It should be on the work order though. Maybe they didn't clip everything all the way back)
Nope and nope, but I don't know what was done with the vehicle before purchase (new).

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T
Both my S and T are the same. It's more noticeable on the T as it's white.

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My R1T is at the service center for a number of this, including this. We'll see if they can address it.

Sponsored

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

Is this part of a recall? I took my truck for service and they informed me of a recall on pillar trim, not sure which pillar.

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Is this part of a recall? I took my truck for service and they informed me of a recall on pillar trim, not sure which pillar.
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Quick update:

Truck is still at the service center. They had to take the windshield off, and *weld* a seam together along the A pillar due to poor assembly at the factory.

Joneholland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That recall is for the c pillar, they remove the top clips so that the side airbags deploy easier.

drstancpa

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsu.edu
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Camaro SS & 1992 Firebird T/A verts
Occupation
Education, Accounting
I'm sitting here laughing because I just drove my truck back from the SC, about a 2.5 hour drive, this afternoon and for the first time in 9 months I noticed a similar gap. And mine is Compass Yellow too!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Got my truck back on Friday; issue is fixed! Service center replaced the liner and windshield as part of the process.

I noticed that the passenger side windshield wiper wasnā€™t working after pick up. Good thing I had one of those bolt-tightener thingies (I think they are called wrenches) in the garage. I can confirm I was able to tighten the arm to the pivot shaft. As good as new!

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have this gap as well, not a huge bother to me, but Iā€™ll add it to the list for the next service spot.

OP
OP
SourGrapes

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I have this gap as well, not a huge bother to me, but Iā€™ll add it to the list for the next service spot.
Unless you are far away from a service center, Iā€™d just add it to a list of ongoing items you may want fixed (if anything it helps Rivian collect feedback on things they may need to improve inspection or assembly tolerance on.)

For me, while the issue was cosmetic, it was one of those things that I always ā€œseeā€ after noticing it for the first time. Plus the yellow paint color really stands out from the interior colors so it was really noticeable.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I found something similar on mine, driver side a pillar, seeing body paint through what should be windshield seal, but mine is on the outside and probably contributes to wind noise. See photos. I added this to my service center list. My call center technician said they'll fix this no problem, even if they need to pull the windshield and replace the seal.

Rivian R1T R1S Gap on Passenger A-Pillar Interior Liner IMG_2795

Rivian R1T R1S Gap on Passenger A-Pillar Interior Liner IMG_2796
Sponsored