Sponsored

Fog lights automatic reactivation time period?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We run Opal's fog lights (front and rear) at all times while driving. We feel that this makes her better seen, day or night. We have noticed that sometimes when we make a short stop, the fog lights are still activated when we restart the vehicle. At other times they have to be reactivated.

We are guessing there is a specific time period after which the fog lights do not automatically reactivate. We have reviewed the owner manual, and cannot find any reference to this issue.

Does anyone know what this time limit to is?

Brian
Sponsored

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’ve noticed this too. It’s an odd “feature”. Wish they’d just remember your setting all the time like most other cars as I too like to run the fogs all the time. They also need to allow fog/running lights only as there as snowy or fog situations that warrant that.

Also, I’ve even noticed this with heated wheel and seats at times, but haven’t figured out the exact time period either.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I think they are only intended to be used in times of low visibility thus why they require restarting for each drive.

I also had a friend several years ago for driving with his rear fog lights on when the weather was clear. Something at the time about ‘always on brake lights.’

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think they are only intended to be used in times of low visibility thus why they require restarting for each drive.

I also had a friend several years ago for driving with his rear fog lights on when the weather was clear. Something at the time about ‘always on brake lights.’
Yep. They resemble "always on" brake lights, which is a hazard all in of itself.

Use a tool for its intended purpose, or you may get unintended results.
Sponsored