Sponsored

Feeling windshield wipers in accelerator pedal?

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
I feel this all the time. Its odd but havent noticed any problems from it.
Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I feel this all the time. Its odd but havent noticed any problems from it.
It is the same as the vibration from AC. Unfortunately, the design of the acceleration pedal seems to have a noncritical flaw, and vibrations from internal systems (like wiper motor, AC, etc.) also passed to the pedal. I just got used to this. This is partly why I do not call my R1T a luxury car.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Easy to determine. Swing the arms up and away from the windshield, then it on and see if the noise is gone..
@DaveA above suggestion will cause a much worse metal on metal noise when the arms start hitting the hood. I assume you understood his sarcasm or would have seen the warnings while attempting that in wiper service mode but figured I'd mention it.

Good luck with your squeaks. If you really want to troubleshoot wrap the blade in a microfiber or some tube socks to keep it off the glass. šŸ˜…

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
@DaveA above suggestion will cause a much worse metal on metal noise when the arms start hitting the hood. I assume you understood his sarcasm or would have seen the warnings while attempting that in wiper service mode but figured I'd mention it.

Good luck with your squeaks. If you really want to troubleshoot wrap the blade in a microfiber or some tube socks to keep it off the glass. šŸ˜…
My squeak has nothing to do with the arm or the wiper blade. Its near the motor that moves the wiper...like a rubber grommet rubbing sound. No worries. Gonna have mobile tech take a look when he's here replacing my accelerator pedal next month.

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
It is the same as the vibration from AC. Unfortunately, the design of the acceleration pedal seems to have a noncritical flaw, and vibrations from internal systems (like wiper motor, AC, etc.) also passed to the pedal. I just got used to this. This is partly why I do not call my R1T a luxury car.
I never noticed it from the AC, just the light tapping feeling from wipers moving back and forth. Not the end of the world to me.

vs. my Model S I do consider the R1T more luxurious

My only gripe is charging networks hopefully to be solved by NACS support.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I never noticed it from the AC, just the light tapping feeling from wipers moving back and forth. Not the end of the world to me.

vs. my Model S I do consider the R1T more luxurious

My only gripe is charging networks hopefully to be solved by NACS support.
Model S is not the right "luxury" comparison IMHO. BMW X7 (same price) is.
Said that I like my R1T regardless. It is very versatile. I just do not call it luxury car

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Model S is not the right "luxury" comparison IMHO. BMW X7 (same price) is.
Said that I like my R1T regardless. It is very versatile. I just do not call it luxury car
My only BMW (5 series many years ago) I wouldnt call luxury. The germans had a thing against cupholders at the time and it was pretty minimal. While I like the German cars, I dont like the maintenance.
Above the electric vs gas, acceleration, etc I love the minimal maintenance on EVs.

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
My only BMW (5 series many years ago) I wouldnt call luxury. The germans had a thing against cupholders at the time and it was pretty minimal. While I like the German cars, I dont like the maintenance.
Above the electric vs gas, acceleration, etc I love the minimal maintenance on EVs.
I was talking only about luxury features (and the high trims of X5 G05 are amazing). Maintenance and all other things are a different story and I agree 100%.

TNutz

First Name
Taft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance Leader
Lets all take into consideration the implications of feeling vibration here in an EV vs what is definitely masked in a traditional ICE vehicle due to all the shake, rattle, and roll of a petrol motor.....

Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Lets all take into consideration the implications of feeling vibration here in an EV vs what is definitely masked in a traditional ICE vehicle due to all the shake, rattle, and roll of a petrol motor.....
Good point, but I do not feel any vibration in the pedal in X5 45E when in EV mode as well. So it has nothing to do with ICE vibrations masking.

Riviam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad Motor (Glacier White) 21ā€ wheels
I drove through some heavy rain this weekend, and noticed that I could feel the windshield wipers through the accelerator pedal ā€” there's a "bump" in the pedal when the wipers change direction at both ends of its travel. It's most noticeable at the highest wiper setting; less so on the lower settings. Is that ā€¦ supposed to happen?
I feel this every time the wipers are on. Will have to learn to live with it but itā€™s odd and relatively annoying. I switch to ACC anytime I can when they are on...which in the rain isnā€™t ideal. Let us know if thereā€™s a fix-

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I feel this every time the wipers are on. Will have to learn to live with it but itā€™s odd and relatively annoying. I switch to ACC anytime I can when they are on...which in the rain isnā€™t ideal. Let us know if thereā€™s a fix-
I doubt there is a fix for this - it seems to be working as designed...
Sponsored