Factory Pick Up Option

JackA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Pluginncw.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S - Reservation/Deposit R1S
I did not ask anyone at the NY gathering because I was so amazed at the vehicles... but, I wonder if there will be an option to pick up your vehicle at the Normal, IL factory.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I did not ask anyone at the NY gathering because I was so amazed at the vehicles... but, I wonder if there will be an option to pick up your vehicle at the Normal, IL factory.
That would be cool, and I would probably do it. I'd love to see the place & meet the people, avoid potential "destination charges", and it would be a good excuse for an electric road trip home...

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
That option would be fine with me since it's only a about a 2 hour drive for me. A factory tour would be a nice bonus but again with my proximity to the plant I can do that any other time.

However this begs the question what will the delivery options be, if any? Will Rivian deliver it to your driveway? Will they deliver it to your nearest service center whatever and wherever that'll be? Will there be a delivery charge? If so, will they wave the delivery charge if you pick it up at the plant? As usual, more questions than answers at this point.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I did not ask anyone at the NY gathering because I was so amazed at the vehicles... but, I wonder if there will be an option to pick up your vehicle at the Normal, IL factory
According to my wife, who was at the ATL event...They are working on a package where you will be able to pickup the vehicle in Normal and get a tour of the factory or "other things"...not sure what those other things are...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If they can provide or partner with a shuttle service from MDW, IND or STL airports, I would definitely take factory delivery. I wonder if the "other things" included with factory delivery are other local attractions that might foster tourism and the local economy?

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If they can provide or partner with a shuttle service from MDW, IND or STL airports, I would definitely take factory delivery.
If Rivian provides some factory pick-up option and you fly into MDW, ORD or DuPage airports, send me a PM. I'll drive you to Normal in my Rivian. :)

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Will they plot a route for me to drive home (California) with charging stations and time needed plotted?

So far I can't even find a way to drive from So Cal to Nor Cal unless I use Level 2 chargers (very long recharge times). Currently a 492 mile stretch with no DCFC chargers.

Maybe they will exist before I take delivery... :cool:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Will they plot a route for me to drive home (California) with charging stations and time needed plotted?

So far I can't even find a way to drive from So Cal to Nor Cal unless I use Level 2 chargers (very long recharge times). Currently a 492 mile stretch with no DCFC chargers.

Maybe they will exist before I take delivery... :cool:
Looking at plugshare, I don't see a gap anywhere near 492 miles. What route are you trying to take?

Normal, IL to LA is up and running today using EA 150 - 350 kW stations. Biggest stretch is Vegas to LA at 260 miles, but there are 3 locations "coming soon" in that stretch and extremely likely they will be up and running before you could take delivery.
EA stations only (the wrench indicates "coming soon")

Rivian R1T R1S Factory Pick Up Option OBom7l3

San Diego or the Bay area would be a bit more of an issue and would likely require taking I-70 to LA and then N/S. It will only get easier as time goes by.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the wrench indicates "coming soon"
In addition, what will it cost to drive that far if Rivian doesn't offer any charging station credits? It's my understanding EA is one of the more expensive charging networks out there. If it were me I would have to weigh the cost (and time) of a long road trip versus whatever delivery charge Rivian comes up with. Plus, I would be more inclined to first drive my introductory, high tech Rivian (meaning a higher probability of vehicle problems than say a more established brand/model) locally for a while before venturing across the country on its maiden voyage. :fingerscrossed:

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Thanks for suggesting plugshare as a lookup tool. Shows lots more 50kw chargers on that route, with plenty more coming. I feel better. :clap:

Sponsored

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
In addition, what will it cost to drive that far if Rivian doesn't offer any charging station credits? It's my understanding EA is one of the more expensive charging networks out there. If it were me I would have to weigh the cost (and time) of a long road trip versus whatever delivery charge Rivian comes up with.
Ah, for me it would be the adventure. Charging cost would not be a consideration. Being retired the time is available. Hotels would be a much larger financial consideration... my wife doesn't camp anymore.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
My thought is to board AMTK #8 the Empire Builder and relax in a sleeper between Whitefish, MT to the Chicago, Il. There I can check in with Rivian to see what they have set up for lodging, meals and transportation. There will be sales papers and registration policies to finalize.

Next is to drive north to Duluth to visit with a longtime friend. Highway 2 is the most direct route to Montana but look at the thousands of miles of roads crossing Wisconsin, both Dakotas and eastern Montana lacking charging stations. If no infrastructure is added in the next couple of years I may be buying a team of horses a couple of hundred miles west of Duluth to tow my Rivian home. Alternatively, I could tow a trailer loaded with a diesel generator to run full time to charge the R1T.

Alan
Missoula

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Thanks for suggesting plugshare as a lookup tool. Shows lots more 50kw chargers on that route, with plenty more coming. I feel better. :clap:
50kw would be slow to charge a 135 or 180 battery. In my sons model 3 going from 120 to 150 saves about 10-15 minutes in charging.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

You should also consider A Better Routeplanner. They have a great website that when adding to your homescreen on your phone turns into a great app-like experience.