Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Ed Dwight
  • United States Airforce Pilot, Captain, 1953 - 1962
Rivian R1T R1S Ed Dwight - The Confluence of the REALLY Important and the Very Cool IMG_0815

• Bachelor of Science Degree, Cum Laude - Aeronautical Engineering, Arizona State University, 1957
  • Master of Science Astronautics - USAF Test Pilot & Aerospace Pilot School, 1962
  • U.S. Air Force Astronaut Program, Test Pilot, 1962 - 1966
Rivian R1T R1S Ed Dwight - The Confluence of the REALLY Important and the Very Cool IMG_0816

Unfortunately not even someone of Captain Dwight's outstanding education, accomplishments, ability, and dedication would in 1966 be accepted as an astronaut if that someone was black.

63 years after joining the Astronaut Pilot School, Captain Dwight, USAF Ret, finally voyaged to the edge of space aboard a Blue Origin flight. And at 90 years of age is the oldest human to the edge of space, breaking William Shatner's record.
Rivian R1T R1S Ed Dwight - The Confluence of the REALLY Important and the Very Cool B7BA4DD2-7992-4826-B5B8-C02FF76EDAD8

...and yes, that's an R1T serving as the astronaut recovery vehicle (it is Bezos' Blue Origin, after all :)). Not as important as Captain Dwight's flight by any means. But a cool thing nonetheless.

CONGRATULATIONS CAPTAIN DWIGHT!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

it is always heart warming to see good things happen to good people.

Brian

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

🇺🇸🇺🇸 And thank you for your service to our nation, Captain Dwight!!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

65 years too late, but I’m sure it meant the world to him to finally get up there. Thanks for sharing!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Ed Dwight
  • United States Airforce Pilot, Captain, 1953 - 1962
IMG_0815.jpeg

• Bachelor of Science Degree, Cum Laude - Aeronautical Engineering, Arizona State University, 1957
  • Master of Science Astronautics - USAF Test Pilot & Aerospace Pilot School, 1962
  • U.S. Air Force Astronaut Program, Test Pilot, 1962 - 1966
IMG_0816.jpeg

Unfortunately not even someone of Captain Dwight's outstanding education, accomplishments, ability, and dedication would in 1966 be accepted as an astronaut if that someone was black.

63 years after joining the Astronaut Pilot School, Captain Dwight, USAF Ret, finally voyaged to the edge of space aboard a Blue Origin flight. And at 90 years of age is the oldest human to the edge of space, breaking William Shatner's record.
B7BA4DD2-7992-4826-B5B8-C02FF76EDAD8.jpeg

...and yes, that's an R1T serving as the astronaut recovery vehicle (it is Bezos' Blue Origin, after all :)). Not as important as Captain Dwight's flight by any means. But a cool thing nonetheless.

This just made my day :)

Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored

Laserboy1054

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Here here!

I had the profound nerd pleasure of having lunch with "Guy" Bluford a few years ago (I brought a couple of my best students along, but they had the sense to stay out of my way as I went full-on fanboy). Colonel Bluford was the first African American in outer space, but his accomplishments go so far beyond that--just an amazing person! I work very hard not to do or say too many old-dude things, but I truly do feel sorry "kids today" (blech! I hate that phrase) don't know the pure hero worship that the Apollo generation got to experience for the astronauts of that period (I was born in 1964 and the Apollo 11 landing is my earliest clear memory).

It's a truly infinitessimal thing, but I am irrationally pleased that a Rivian was part of Captain Dwight's accomplishment! Thank you for sharing the observation.

OP
OP
Ohm Boy

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Here here!

I had the profound nerd pleasure of having lunch with "Guy" Bluford a few years ago (I brought a couple of my best students along, but they had the sense to stay out of my way as I went full-on fanboy). Colonel Bluford was the first African American in outer space, but his accomplishments go so far beyond that--just an amazing person! I work very hard not to do or say too many old-dude things, but I truly do feel sorry "kids today" (blech! I hate that phrase) don't know the pure hero worship that the Apollo generation got to experience for the astronauts of that period (I was born in 1964 and the Apollo 11 landing is my earliest clear memory).

It's a truly infinitessimal thing, but I am irrationally pleased that a Rivian was part of Captain Dwight's accomplishment! Thank you for sharing the observation.
How completely fabulous that you meet Col. Buford, a true American hero.
Sponsored