Driver+

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The loss of lidar means a loss of precision. Roughly, radar allows resolution of about 1%, and lidar about 0.01%. If your software (and hardware too, natch) is not yet capable of doing enough with the extra detail to make the expense worthwhile, then I can see the economic decision being made to leave lidar off for now, disappointing though it may be to us geeks.

However, radar has some advantages in open-road driving (not in crowded cities, etc.) in that it penetrates moisture much better.
Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Very true, there's a lot of "ifs" when it comes to what may or may not be valuable. I have experience with some of the underlying tech, but not the AD use case.

Tags would imply supervised machine learning, where as a lot of AD is now using unsupervised/deep learning/neural networks.

I would hope that field of view & relative position would be easily changed variables, to allow common algorithms to work for different types of sensors and sensor locations. I really have no idea how they do it, but there are a lot of really bright minds working on this stuff.
I guess another big question would be what is rivian using for compute, and can that system handle that volume of data, in the event it is usable.

barsaec

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV, Range Rover Classic
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs