First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That wasn't the point I was making. I was saying why do people buy a 3/Y when they need the range of the S or X?
Pretty obvious to a rational thinker. Either:
1)They don't, as is apparently the case for many here, understand that they need it
2)Need the money they save more than they need the longer range

...everyone needs more range and are making a mistake by not paying for it.
Unfortunately we can't always acquire every thing we need in life. When this is the case we must make choices. If we must choose one need over another it hardly seems fair to consider that a mistake. It is often a prudent choice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Unfortunately we can't always acquire every thing we need in life. When this is the case we must make choices. If we must choose one need over another it hardly seems fair to consider that a mistake. It is often a prudent choice.
I think you're confusing NEED vs WANT.

If you get along without it, you didn't actually NEED it.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Now you are deliberately editing my previous comments to change the appearance of what I was saying (I was quoting your prior comment in what you are showing), and taking the other side of the argument, which is actually the one I was on. That's some true devious, sensationalist media type stuff right there.

If the moderators are following, please banish this troll. I will just hit ignore regardless.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think you're confusing NEED vs WANT.

If you get along without it, you didn't actually NEED it.

NEED

noun A condition or situation in which something must be supplied in order for a certain condition to be maintained or a desired state to be achieved.

intransitive verb To be in need or want.

verb require as useful, just, or proper

Last edited:

Sponsored

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Are there any @Administrator on these boards? If so the mods should probably end this thread now...

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
This has to be the worst thread ever, and that is saying something for this forum.

The answer is just buy what you want, if you can afford it. Just don't hog up a charger by charging to 80% if you only need to go 150 miles to the next charger. I am looking at you @ajdelange . You don't need a 30% charging buffer unless you are road-tripping strictly uphill with a massive headwind in the rain with 22 inch wheels - that is a total amateur move to unnecessarily hog a charger.

The other thing that is obvious from this thread is that a fair number of Tesla owners on this forum are obnoxious know-it-alls. You own a Model 3 or Model Y and now you are an EV expert?? Give me a break. Call me when you drove a Model S in 2016 or a Model X in 2017. I thought "Teslaitis" was bad before I got rid of my last one in 2019, but this forum just proves I was wrong. No one gives a $hit that you bought a Model Y in 2020, you are not special. This is the Rivian forum, experience with a Tesla is going to be very different than with a Rivian due to a way different charging ecosystem.

The funny thing is that this max battery conversation is moot because 70% of us on this board will not be getting our vehicles until 2023, at the earliest. History shows that it is very challenging to ramp up new vehicle production, and then factor in the global economic dynamics, and it looks like Rivian may not get fully ramped until the end of 2022 at the earliest. The CCS charging landscape will be very different then - there will be more chargers available. Hopefully for you pulling trailers there will be more with drive through access.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Seriously... buy want you want.

If you don't drive or rarely drive in excess of 200 miles per day, and don't often either take long road trips, or go "off grid" for extended periods, I think you already have your answer.

I am, because I do go on longer roadtrips at least 3-5 times per year (300-600 miles in a single direction), I tow a boat, and I have found that my 300ish Telsa X is juuuuuuuuust shy of the miles I need for longer road trips or camping/off-grid to feel comfortable.

YMMV.

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
The more infotainment screens I see the more concerned I become about real world range. I know some reviews have come in matching EPA numbers, but then I see this from an employee owner that I suppose may or may not be testing the 0-60 every day, but still. In conserve mode with essentially the recommended starting charge of 70% with only 166mi estimated range.
Rivian R1T R1S Do I really need the Max Pack? Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 12.06.04 PM

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
The more infotainment screens I see the more concerned I become about real world range. I know some reviews have come in matching EPA numbers, but then I see this from an employee owner that I suppose may or may not be testing the 0-60 every day, but still. In conserve mode with essentially the recommended starting charge of 70% with only 166mi estimated range.
This could actually be right in line with EPA expectations when you make the assumption that most of these vehicles are located in the north, and it is mid-November. Virtually all of the vehicles delivered seem to be on the 20's, which means EPA range of about 280mi. 70% of that would be 196mi (all under average to optimal conditions). So, this observation of 166mi is about 85% of that optimal value, which would be expected if the temp was only say 40-50 degrees instead of 75-80.

We don't know what rated EPA range in Conserve is, but presumably higher than 314, so in this case the % loss due to temp may be more like 80%, but that's still not outside the bounds of expectations.

For that reason, for the next several months these snapshots are going to reflect that reality, but are good examples of what range expectations should be in winter in these locations.

EDIT: yeah, just watched the actual video. It's on 20's and the ambient temp is 50 degrees in early afternoon. So, to borrow a Tesla phrase, this is "within spec" ;).
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.