23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
All tesla does is deceive people by projecting potential savings price by default and always the cheapest model gets axed ?. Its just their marketing strategy which will attract people to do the talk "tesla is affordable" which I say is my ass.?
To be fair, where's that low range R1T at?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This has always confused me. They're going to make CT for the less than the model 3 LR? Riiiiight.
Didn't you see all the data on that new battery format? 5X the energy!!! 6X the power!!!! (ignore the fact that the battery is also significantly larger). It is going to revolutionize EVERYTHING!! They'll be so much CHEAPER! And unicorns will finally get their wings to become Pegasus-Unicorn hybrids!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Didn't you see all the data on that new battery format? 5X the energy!!! 6X the power!!!! (ignore the fact that the battery is also significantly larger). It is going to revolutionize EVERYTHING!! They'll be so much CHEAPER! And unicorns will finally get their wings to become Pegasus-Unicorn hybrids!
Do I remember correctly that the energy density of the 4680 cell is actually slightly less than or the same as the current cell?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Correct. Sorry. I didn’t look any further because I wasn’t interested in it.
I feel much the same way. That said, one thing stuck out in this video for me. Actually, four things stuck out.

I keep hearing stories about how large this thing is, particularly, how wide it is. When I watched this video and saw those wheels protruding out past the tires, I couldn't help but think of someone parallel parking this beast. With the CT's extreme width, I wonder how long it's going to be until the driver grinds the right side wheels against the curb and gets pissed off about it.

The same thing will happen out in the wild when someone scrapes a rock because the wheels stick out beyond the tire's sidewall. If a wheel isn't contacting a rock when trying to drive past it, a tire that slides off of a rock will put that metal in direct contact with the rock as gravity does its thing. Either way, someone's not gonna be happy and an ugly wheel is just gonna get uglier....

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck information removed from Tesla Web Site 1634677755781

On top of being unattractive (my take only), it would seem that the leading edges of those seven "spokes" can't help the coefficient of drag for the CT, especially since they're sticking out so far. With all of the consternation about whether it'll get 500 miles or not per charge, I would think they would find a more aerodynamic set-up for the CT's wheels. These things make it look like the designers were channeling the chariots and races from Ben-Hur.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck information removed from Tesla Web Site 1634678327644

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Do I remember correctly that the energy density of the 4680 cell is actually slightly less than or the same as the current cell?
The cell has 5.5x the volume, so yes, on a volumetric measurement, it is less energy dense than the 2170.

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I feel much the same way. That said, one thing stuck out in this video for me. Actually, four things stuck out.

I keep hearing stories about how large this thing is, particularly, how wide it is. When I watched this video and saw those wheels protruding out past the tires, I couldn't help but think of someone parallel parking this beast. With the CT's extreme width, I wonder how long it's going to be until the driver grinds the right side wheels against the curb and gets pissed off about it.

The same thing will happen out in the wild when someone scrapes a rock because the wheels stick out beyond the tire's sidewall. If a wheel isn't contacting a rock when trying to drive past it, a tire that slides off of a rock will put that metal in direct contact with the rock as gravity does its thing. Either way, someone's not gonna be happy and an ugly wheel is just gonna get uglier....

1634677755781.png

On top of being unattractive (my take only), it would seem that the leading edges of those seven "spokes" can't help the coefficient of drag for the CT, especially since they're sticking out so far. With all of the consternation about whether it'll get 500 miles or not per charge, I would think they would find a more aerodynamic set-up for the CT's wheels. These things make it look like the designers were channeling the chariots and races from Ben-Hur.

1634678327644.png
My take is what you’re seeing is actually a wheel cover, and not the actual wheel. But you’re right. That wheel cover will likely get trashed out in the wild.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My take is what you’re seeing is actually a wheel cover, and not the actual wheel. But you’re right. That wheel cover will likely get trashed out in the wild.
If that's the case, it's an interesting choice to add the extra width and put it at risk. More drag and more stuff to break. As my Dad used to say, "Beautiful!.... F¥€#ing beautiful!" while slowly shaking his head from side to side, chin down....

I was the one responsible for invoking that reaction more times than I want to remember. It was frequently followed by "You know, that thing was meant to last forever". Those Tesla wheels or caps? Not so much....
Sponsored