First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else noticed cruise control sometimes resumes previous speed?

I've had this happen at least 4 times. Once, I was traveling along a highway approaching a town where the posted speed went from 65 MPH, to 50 MPH, then to 35 MPH. There was also a cop parked near the 35 MPH sign. I disengaged the cruise when I approached the 50 MPH sign, slowed down to around 35 and then engaged the cruise again, then my truck started accelerating. By the time I hit the brake, I was going 44 MPH. The cop turned on his lights, but thankfully he did not pull me over. It must have been his way of giving me a warning.

Anyway, I've wanted a resume in cruise, but I'd like to know when it's going to happen. I went out the next day and tried the same thing on the freeway and reproduced it once out of 4 or 5 tries.
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's not resume, it's the new default to use the speed limit as the set point. The only problem is they don't use the camera to read speed limit signs and the nav is frequently incorrect. I have at least one place I drive daily where the speed limit goes down to 45 from 55 and I've had it try to race back up to 55 mph. So I turned it off and won't use it again until they properly read the signs. You can find the setting under Driver+, IIRC. I also have a lot of roads I drive where the nav has no info at all, so it just falls back to setting your current speed. Even if this speed limit mode worked properly, I'd want a settable offset from the limit. But really, getting a proper resume would be ideal...for some reason they won't do it.

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
The default behavior is that it will accelerate up to whatever speed limit the map thinks the road is at. AFAIK, optical sign recognition is not integrated, so if the map says 65, you'll accelerate up to 65.

You can disable this in settings.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
You could just use long presses of the buttons on the right-hand side of the steering wheel to set your speed to the posted limit instead of disengaging the ACC. I find that just as easy as disengaging/re-engaging cruise control.

OP
OP

jpearson

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Retired
It seems like using the posted speed would be problematic when the speed is changing. I've had a cop tell me I need to be going the posted speed by the time I pass the sign. My Rivian never seemed to "see" the sign until right after it passed it. Which would not give it enough time to slow down. Maybe that's why it seems to be using map data now. Which is problematic too since posted speed limits change temporarily or permanently and the map data could be out of date.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
It seems like using the posted speed would be problematic when the speed is changing. I've had a cop tell me I need to be going the posted speed by the time I pass the sign. My Rivian never seemed to "see" the sign until right after it passed it. Which would not give it enough time to slow down. Maybe that's why it seems to be using map data now. Which is problematic too since posted speed limits change temporarily or permanently and the map data could be out of date.
It won't change based on the speed limit once it's set anyway, so it seems like that isn't the reason. I believe it's due to the inaccuracy of their camera vision system; mine would routinely lock onto signs on adjacent roadways with MUCH higher limits.
Sponsored