Sponsored

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Hoo. Ray. The neglected step child of Rivian is dipping its toe into the spotlight. Excellent.
Sponsored

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
Question to those who know more about manufacturing than me:

Can we infer from the beginning of line validation of the R1S that it means they have things dialed in pretty well for the skateboard and the R1T and are ready to move to this variant? Or is that wishful thinking?

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Question to those who know more about manufacturing than me:

Can we infer from the beginning of line validation of the R1S that it means they have things dialed in pretty well for the skateboard and the R1T and are ready to move to this variant? Or is that wishful thinking?
It's reasonable. My disclaimer is that I have never worked in the auto industry, but when I've pushed products to new manufacturing lines, I would not push two products with common subassemblies and common line requirements at the same time, I'd validate one first and then move on.

Two caveats:
1) I've never had billions of dollars in funding to use, in order to get lines up as quickly as possible
2) The line could have been sitting empty while they waited for body shells, and something as simple as that may be the reason we haven't see more R1S.

Probably more caveats out there as well.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Former COO Jim Morgan was a huge lean guy as well, and it sounds like that was a focus of RJ's at MIT as well.

I know manufacturing vehicles like this is incredibly complex, but I am confident in Rivian in this regard.
Sponsored