Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Well, at least they didn’t call it a Camero… 😂

Anyways, this Blazer isn’t an off roader. The R2 is supposed to be exactly that. So no, they won’t compete. BUT, I do with Rivian and Tesla would take some notes. Notes on things like BUTTONS! Look at all those buttons. It would take me a day and I could hit every button without taking my eyes off the road. There are a lot of things that the touch screen is great for but buttons should still be used for everyday items like HVAC, Mirrors, etc. I also like the manual AC vents.

Outside of those things, the Blazer EV is,,,,, meh.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yeah, I get that it was LG and not GM only goes so fast.

But more importantly, the Bolt utilized a subjectively worse batter technology (pouch cells). Which was developed by LG years ago, before GM had made any true development progress. Which GM will likely never use in an EV ever again. The Blazer, and all of their EVs to date use the Ultium system, which is not only built new from the ground up, but is light years ahead of the Bolt. It's an 800v architecture, more efficient than Tesla, and provides charging rates that compete with Lucid.

So yeah, it's different.
Ultium isn't an 800V architecture. Everything still runs on 400V and they use pack splitting to enable charging on 800V. The batteries in the Lyriq and Blazer don't support pack splitting, so you're limited to 400V charging speeds. That's why they advertise "Up to 190kW charging" on them. 500A * 380V.

IMO it's the biggest miss by GM for ultium. It might be able to be fully 800V down the line, but who knows.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think the Blazer looks nice and seems like it has decent specs, but how can it be an alternative or a “killer” for a vehicle we have literally no specs or concept for yet other than we have heard it will be smaller and possibly an SUV? Plus it’s GM - they will find a way to screw it up.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Ultium isn't an 800V architecture. Everything still runs on 400V and they use pack splitting to enable charging on 800V. The batteries in the Lyriq and Blazer don't support pack splitting, so you're limited to 400V charging speeds. That's why they advertise "Up to 190kW charging" on them. 500A * 380V.

IMO it's the biggest miss by GM for ultium. It might be able to be fully 800V down the line, but who knows.
That's all true, as configured currently they run at 400v. But they have claimed that it will have the capability to run 800v eventually.

I didn't see the lack of pack splitting on the Blazer. Or that it would have it, to be honest. So I guess that was me assuming that when they start shipping in a year they'll have it. You're right though, if they ship without that, it'll be a big miss on GM's part.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I think the Blazer looks good, but the R2 will be sexier. I can't wait until the R2 is unveiled.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think the Blazer looks good, but the R2 will be sexier. I can't wait until the R2 is unveiled.
We have no idea what the R2 will be. Some people think sports coupe, some people think Wrangler/Bronco competitor, some think Subaru influenced, it could be a bicycle with pedals for all we know.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
We have no idea what the R2 will be. Some people think sports coupe, some people think Wrangler/Bronco competitor, some think Subaru influenced, it could be a bicycle with pedals for all we know.
There will be multiple R2s, but the first should be a smaller SUV.
Sponsored