Sponsored

Charging between Philly and Pittsburgh

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Have to go out to Pittsburgh this weekend and wondering how is the charging infrastructure on the Turnpike out that way? This would be the longest trip I've taken in my Rivian, and I'm debating if it's safe to take it? I still have my Model 3, and have a Bronco as options, but I think I want to keep the trip EV as I just got back from a trip to New Hampshire in the Bronco.

I just know that the King of Prussia rest stop has had a broken/deactivated charger for a year now, and the majority of the rest stops on the NJ turnpike are Tesla only. And if there are very few chargers, I won't risk one being offline and I'll just take the Tesla.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
From what I know, there are no EV chargers on the turnpike between Reading and New Stanton - it's a ridculous situation. You have to exit to get to a charger. ABRP shows EA chargers at Sheetz in Carlisle and Bedford. You can filter on EV Charging station on their service plaza amentities page.

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/service-plazas

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm in Lancaster and our daughter is a student at Pitt, we've made this trip 3x in the past few months. Zoidz is right, there's not a lot of charging infrastructure along the way yet, but what's there has been just right for us.

If you leave with a full charge, I think the Sheetz in Bedford should be within range for you. I've charged there a few times, it's a very easy off-on from the turnpike, and I've always found an open charger there. I haven't used the charger in Carlisle yet but it's pretty highly rated on PlugShare.

I've wondered a few times if I could get straight through from Lancaster to Pittsburgh without charging midway (my R1T never thinks so...), but we are also finding that we like the built-in break that comes with the charging stop.

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64c.impala, 75mgb, 93D.Dakota, 00Jeep,14 QX70,22R1
Clubs

We just drove up from FL. We last charged in Silver Spring, MD. Made it to Lehigh Valley with plenty of miles (over 100) left. We did have it in 'Conserve mode' though. When we drove out to CA, we charged in Bedford and didn't charge till Dayton, OH. We were in 'All Purpose Mode' with no problems. If you use the map program on the Rivian screen, it is pretty good with giving you the amount of miles left when you arrive and charging stations in between. I always use ABRP app as a backup and Plugshare app to check the conditions of the charging stations. You can also push the % of battery charging to 100% before you leave if you are worried. That should leave you with more than enough charge.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored