First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Industrial Designer
I watched it and didn't catch anything about regen while being towed. I may have been distracted by kids playing in the background around me.

Can you post the time at which this is referenced in the video? I did try to find it multiple times and came up empty handed.

Thanks.
It’s at 9:09 got a few min.
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
What actually happens depends on the driving conditions - all of them. As mentioned in my previous post whenever the power meter reads negative the battery is charging but what counts is how much time the gauge is negative and how negative it is relative to how much time it is positive and how positive. If you do calculus net charge delivered to (negative) or taken from (positive)the battery is the integral (area under) that graph of power vs time. In general the positive (discharge) side dominates. It take a pretty steep (3 - 4%) grade persistant over most of a trip for the battery to acquire a net positive charge. Most of the time the energy given back to the car by gravity simply goes to overcoming drag, rolling resistance and slip. But it can and does happen sometimes. In the more common case a long downhill grade manifests itself as noticeably low consumption say 200 Wh/mi for a vehicle with a 300 Wh/mi rated consumption.
Here is a good example of regen down a mountain grade. In this case, I was able to add back an average of 132 Wh per mile for the 5 miles shown.
Rivian R1T R1S Charge by Towing 2017-07-31 19.47.02