Sponsored

Central PA - Williamsport area - Any fast charging tips?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Some unwanted ish has come up and we may be finding ourselves in Central PA much sooner than we desired. Saw a lot of slow chargers but kind of a desert for faster ones. Any tips or suggestions? Anything obvious I'm missing?

Rivian R1T R1S Central PA - Williamsport area - Any fast charging tips? 1698182221330

Looks like about 42 miles one way to the one in Bloomsburg. Ouch.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yeah kind of a desert up that way. Its Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton if you want options. Are you staying in a hotel? I would try to get extra charge on the way or try for a hotel with L2. In a pinch campgrounds will work but that's L2 speeds. There is a KOA in Williamsport.

OP
OP
Oldsmobile_Mike

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Yeah kind of a desert up that way. Its Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton if you want options. Are you staying in a hotel? I would try to get extra charge on the way or try for a hotel with L2. In a pinch campgrounds will work but that's L2 speeds. There is a KOA in Williamsport.
That's right, I forgot about the KOA. And I've even stayed there twice... LOL.

Rivian R1T R1S Central PA - Williamsport area - Any fast charging tips? 1698183714607

That was us (a few years ago), off to the middle-right through the trees. In the Cruise America rental. 😆 We have family in the Milton/Newky area, but their 100+ year old houses can't support much EV charging. Just trying to get a few more options.

Thanks!

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

That's right, I forgot about the KOA. And I've even stayed there twice... LOL.

1698183714607.jpeg

That was us (a few years ago), off to the middle-right through the trees. In the Cruise America rental. 😆 We have family in the Milton/Newky area, but their 100+ year old houses can't support much EV charging. Just trying to get a few more options.

Thanks!
How long are you staying. Maybe top up as much as possible on the way at a DCFC and then plug in to 120v and trickle charge at 8amps or 12 if you think it can handle it.

OP
OP
Oldsmobile_Mike

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

How long are you staying. Maybe top up as much as possible on the way at a DCFC and then plug in to 120v and trickle charge at 8amps or 12 if you think it can handle it.
We don't know yet. Might be permanent. If that happens, we'd rent an apartment while home shopping. If an elderly relative passes we stand to get their place, but a lot of this is up in the air at this point and hinges on a legal case we've gotten dragged into here in VA. Just trying to wrap my head around 94823739857 things right now.

If we do wind up temporarily in an apartment up there, guess we'd have to toss an extension cord out the window. 😉

Edit: Williamsport KOA does have long-term sites, I remember now. Maybe that'll be a better option.

Edit again: Just remembered I have five animals. Long-term at the KOA might not be such a good option. FML, lol. 😿

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

We don't know yet. Might be permanent. If that happens, we'd rent an apartment while home shopping. If an elderly relative passes we stand to get their place, but a lot of this is up in the air at this point and hinges on a legal case we've gotten dragged into here in VA. Just trying to wrap my head around 94823739857 things right now.

If we do wind up temporarily in an apartment up there, guess we'd have to toss an extension cord out the window. 😉

Edit: Williamsport KOA does have long-term sites, I remember now. Maybe that'll be a better option.

Edit again: Just remembered I have five animals. Long-term at the KOA might not be such a good option. FML, lol. 😿
Yeah, could be a good option. Campgrounds are awesome. If you wind up home shopping drop me a PM and I can set you up with a great Realtor in that area.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Unfortunately, it looks like these are the options:
  1. Slower dealer chargers (there are two in the area)
  2. Going toward State College to charge -- there are a few DCFC in that area
  3. In the future, the Williamsport Tesla SC looks to be a V3 unit, so it should be available to Rivians in 2024
I was looking at this earlier when plotting my trip from Pittsburgh to Cooperstown for one of my boy's baseball tournaments next year.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They have trees and hills they call mountains up there. They even pretend like they have real ski resorts. :CWL:

When I lived in Philly Williamsport was part of my territory so I was up there every couple months. You could do worse in PA for sure. As long as you like gray skies, gray trees, and gray snow you will survive. Sorry you might have to do that👎🏼

thedocdm

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model S P100D, 2023 R1T Adventure
There are some "fast" chargers at the dealerships near the mall - Pennsdale/Muncy area. Nothing in Williamsport. I've used the 50kw charger at Alexander Nissan. There's supposed to be two other chargers at two of the Ciocca dealerships at the next exit. Check Plugshare.

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was just looking at this yesterday because I have a weekend trip coming up in this same area. I saw a "coming soon" location in Plugshare, to a truck stop in Milton about 30 minutes from Williamsport. A little more research conflicts with this and shows that it *was* coming soon, but might no longer be proceeding. Worth watching, though. See the attached link and scroll to Northumberland County.

You're in the middle of fossil fuel country up there, I wouldn't be surprised if there was local resistance to anything EV-related.

PA NEVI Grants

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I was looking at a trip in a couple of weeks up there - somewhat fortuitously my number hasn't gotten punched yet for my R1S so I'm still running a Model S. Tesla has a Supercharger installation in Williamsport and I also noticed there are some Tesla Destination Chargers at the Penn College of Technology. Not sure if those might work to slow charge with an adapter but might be worth scouting out.

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m traveling through Williamsport now, charging at Ciocca Hyundai’s ChargePoint station. PlugShare ink below. I’m getting 63-65 kW and I *think* it’s free 👍.

It doesn’t show up in Rivian navigation, and even more weird, it also doesn’t appear in the ChargePoint app.

So, I can tell you that there’s at least one good option here. Not the very fastest, but fast enough.

Ciocca Hyundai of Williamsport
202 Lycoming Mall Dr, Muncy, PA 17756, USA

https://www.plugshare.com/location/538508
Sponsored