Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Soooo
Does anyone actually know where the interior camera is?
Is it just the lil black rectangle near the rear view mirror or what?
Tesla added use of the interior camera to dog mode on my wife’s MY and I can’t help but hope for that type of thing to make it’s way over to Rivian, but for the life of me I have no idea where the internal camera even is!
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
This is just MY opinion!!!
If things like this get disabled, the car should be disabled. Stuff like this is put into place to protect you from the people around you and to protect the people around you from you.
We do not need more stories of people sleeping in the back seat while the car drives. The systems are not there yet.
Before long this stuff will become standard on all vehicles even if there is no self drive. Some manufacturers have it to detect if you are getting sleepy at the wheel.
Again just MY opinion.
My opinion is that cabin facing cameras should be illegal unless:

The manufacturer provides a means for the driver to directly access and delete all data saved on the car or transmitted from it .

AND

A law is passed that makes it a felony to access data from a car without a specific authorization from the driver to access that specific bit information. No general all encompassing waivers or exceptions for anonymized data, the authorization must include the names of the employees who will view the data, and the dates they will view it on.

Again just my opinion but I don't want pictures of me picking my nose to be somebody's desktop background. I trust Rivian as a company, but any company that big is going to have some bad apples. See the recent news about to Tesla employees accessing customer data as an example of why this is needed.

Nexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Tesla Model 3

The manufacturer provides a means for the driver to directly access and delete all data saved on the car or transmitted from it .

AND

A law is passed that makes it a felony to access data from a car without a specific authorization from the driver to access that specific bit information. No general all encompassing waivers or exceptions for anonymized data, the authorization must include the names of the employees who will view the data, and the dates they will view it on.

Again just my opinion but I don't want pictures of me picking my nose to be somebody's desktop background. I trust Rivian as a company, but any company that big is going to have some bad apples. See the recent news about to Tesla employees accessing customer data as an example of why this is needed.
I would agree... But, likely, upon signing for acceptance of your vehicle, you've also signed away your right to privacy. As more cars get "smarter" the consumer won't have any other options. This is where we are headed and are, in fact, already there with phones, emails, etc.... Remember... YOU are the product!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
As of right now these cameras don't even work. Driver+ isn't using it at all.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I cant wait for the update that starts using the camera. Will be great to be able to do completely hands off just need to be paying attention. Also if it notifies you and wakes you up if you fall asleep. Ive had a couple close calls in life where I started fallign asleep at the wheel. There is a lot of this tech hitting the heavy equipment world and its great.

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

You guys realize that corporate can access literally any data they want right? Dash cams (JUST FOR DOG MODE, YEA RIGHT), the "private" photos on your iCloud storage, google drive, etc? I used to be a sysadmin and gee, if the data is on the company server, just about any 22 year old goofball with bad hygiene on the sysadmin team can rummage through user files. That would include "christening" your new vehicle. I've written lots of encryption stacks, but guess what, if you can view it, the guys behind the curtains can too.

I mean Rivian is probably uploading gigs of "telemetry" already with the whole vampire drain issue (truck wakes 1 hour, sleeps 3 hours). This probably includes cam footage. Tesla has done it for years on a daily basis to train the neural nets for FSD.

I plan on pulling the camera out of the interior, never connecting my phone to the truck, and letting it update over LTE.

Sure maybe I'm a bit paranoid but after having been a software guy for 22 years I don't want to live in 1984.

jjlikejj

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Urus
Yes you can disable the camera. Settings > Data & Privacy. It will disable certain features if/when camera is used in future

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

You guys realize that corporate can access literally any data they want right? Dash cams (JUST FOR DOG MODE, YEA RIGHT), the "private" photos on your iCloud storage, google drive, etc? I used to be a sysadmin and gee, if the data is on the company server, just about any 22 year old goofball with bad hygiene on the sysadmin team can rummage through user files. That would include "christening" your new vehicle. I've written lots of encryption stacks, but guess what, if you can view it, the guys behind the curtains can too.

I mean Rivian is probably uploading gigs of "telemetry" already with the whole vampire drain issue (truck wakes 1 hour, sleeps 3 hours). This probably includes cam footage. Tesla has done it for years on a daily basis to train the neural nets for FSD.

I plan on pulling the camera out of the interior, never connecting my phone to the truck, and letting it update over LTE.

Sure maybe I'm a bit paranoid but after having been a software guy for 22 years I don't want to live in 1984.
FWIW, I was never under any sort or belief that I would have privacy when trying to see my dog

we are already well into 1984 territory.
My entire job post Army has been UEBA/SIEM related
anything that gives you Wi-Fi be it work,ISP,or public probably knows you more than you do

I just like the idea that I can see my dog when I’m stuck behind the dude with too many items in the express checkout. But alas, I still don’t see exactly where the interior hardware is, it’s much less obvious to me than the Model Y

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’ve been working with one of the major car companies for their driver assist platform. It gave me some insight on how they ’train’ the cars for self driving and making sure the driver is paying attention. in the machine learning process, the developers check out docker containers with all of the data and load them onto a desktop (usually a linux desktop). From there they review the footage and mark things that the system needs to learn. For example, if the car misses a stop sign, the developer will mark it and tell the system, hey that’s a stop sign. They look at the interior pics as well. Say a driver has sunglasses on, they will help the system recognize that the person is still paying attention.

BTW, there was mention in another thread that Rivian isn’t even using the interior camera.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...mera-turn-signal-camera-etc.14411/post-317630

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

AND

Halfway through this post I had much grander ideas of what you were secretly doing in your cab... if I worked at Rivian my background would be a photo of the one guy that has never picked and flicked. 😉

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I am watching you all through the cameras on your phones and PCs right now........
Sponsored