Sponsored

Can we be honest with each other - what benefit does a Rivian have over upcoming EVs?

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The OP began with, "...The main thing Rivian had going was being first by a long shot, but now it's all close together and the vehicle tech is still the same.

What I mean is, the Rivian tech both internally and battery is lacking in comparison. I don't NEED 800+ HP, it's just fun to have. If Fisker had a 7 seater I'd reserve it right now and cancel my Rivian. The production version Ioniq 7, Kia, etc are all superior tech, battery capacity, charging, and for the same or less money...."

As others have already said, there are very desirable, inimitable R1 features, most notably
1. Skateboard architecture with proven and improving BMS,
2. 4 motors, one for each wheel, allowing for nearly infinite control of power and torque,
3. Air suspension that allows for 6.5 inches for vertical travel and 8 different drive modes,
4. Adaptive, hydraulic, cross-damping tech developed by McLaren and so effective, it's banned from some types of auto racing.

If you want an apples-to-apples comparison, there are no other vehicle with these features, at any price, and no vehicles likely to be offered with these features because they would take too long and be too expensive to develop. Full stop.

On a price-performance basis, there's nothing like a Rivian, except another Rivian. The tech is brought to market in specific form factors, a 5-person, mid-to-large pickup, and a 7-person, large SUV. At the moment, there are no other EVs with these form factors in the market.

So, your assertion that it's "all close together" and "the vehicle tech is the same" is absolutely wrong on two counts: tech and form factor. Then there's the company, CEO, Forever commitment, adventure ethos and other tangibles and intangibles that make Rivian different.

Much of this - maybe all of this - doesn't make a difference for you, but it's certainly not the case "the vehicle tech is the same" and it's "all close together". Perhaps what makes Rivian different isn't important to you, but it's absolutely wrong to think EVs now in the market and coming are all more or less the same in terms of what they offer.

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Up up down down left right left right B A

should turn on tank turn
If Rivian wants a million in free advertising, they should definitely make it the Konami code.
(not that I want Rivian to spend a minute or a dollar on putting games in the car)
Sponsored